Walk to Wellness: USA Launches Walk Week 2022
Posted on October 21, 2022
According to the American Heart Association, walking is one of the most popular and easiest exercises.
JagFit@South, the employee wellness program at the University of South Alabama, is expanding its wellness initiative with the launch of Walk Week 2022 from Oct. 24–28, including Trek Talks featuring President Jo Bonner.
What’s a Trek Talk? JagFit invites a host to explore an area on campus for great conversation in the great outdoors.
The kickoff for Walk Week will begin with a Trek Talk event starting at noon on Monday, Oct. 24, at the Jag Fitness Trail on the main campus. Students and employees on the main campus are invited to join and meet at the exercise station near the traffic circle.
Employees at University Hospital, Children’s & Women’s Hospital, Mitchell Cancer Institute and the Strada Patient Care Center are invited to a Trek Talk at noon on Wednesday, Oct. 26, at Geri Moulton Park, or at 1 p.m. at University Hospital on the Mastin Patient Care Center Lawn.
“Four years ago, we launched JagFit@South, and this year, we are adding a new wellness effort with Walk Week 2022 featuring President Bonner as the Trek Talk speaker,” said JagFit Employee Wellness Committee Chair Brian Allred, director of campus recreation and wellness. “We want everyone to make conversation, enjoy the outdoors by walking, and enter to win some great prizes.”
At the beginning of each of the walks, JagFit will give away prizes, snacks, and enter walkers for their chance to win great JagFit gear and an Apple Watch.
The Walk Week 2022 Trek Talks will be at the following locations:
- Monday, Oct. 24, noon – Jag Fitness Trail Station near the Traffic Circle. Prizes and snacks followed by opening remarks at 12:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, Oct. 26, noon – The second Trek Talk will be held at Geri Moulton Children’s Park near the entrance of the Mitchell Cancer Institute. Opening remarks will begin at 12:20 p.m.
- Wednesday, Oct. 26, 1 p.m. – The third and final Trek Talk will be held at University Hospital, Mastin Patient Care Center Lawn. Opening remarks will begin at 1:10 p.m.
JagFit@South emphasizes four priorities:
- Move your body and participate in the health and wellness challenges or exercise;
- Fuel your body with balanced nutrition;
- Stay connected to your emotional and spiritual well-being, and;
- Live a healthier life and take advantage of available resources that benefit all students and employees.
Latest University News
Filling the Teacher ShortageA $2 million state grant will help South educators begin a UTeach prog...
January 31, 2023
Andel Named Computing DeanDr. Todd R. Andel will lead the University of South Alabama School of ...
January 26, 2023
Business ClassA former flight attendant from India stops circling the globe and star...
January 19, 2023
New Host For HospitalityDr. Khaldoon Nusair, an internationally recognized marketing scholar, ...
January 19, 2023