7 Ways to Survive Finals Week
Posted on April 26, 2016
Finals week can be frustrating and stressful for many college students. The University of South Alabama understands the pressure students are facing during finals and offers food, fun activities and tips to ace exams.
Dr. Bob Hanks, director of South’s Counseling and Testing Services, shares some handy tips on how to beat the end of the semester anxiety:
- Keep doing the things you normally do to manage stress such as vigorous exercise, spending time outdoors, deep breathing, yoga, meditation, and/or listening to soothing music.
- Study well in advance and try to avoid cramming the night before. Remember that sleep deprivation tends to interfere with concentration and memory.
- Plan ahead by estimating the time needed to prepare for each final and create a reasonable study schedule for yourself.
- Eliminate and/or reduce non-academic time commitments. For example, if employed, ask your employer for a reduced work schedule in advance.
- Make the most of your study time by choosing a good environment, studying the most difficult material first, taking hourly breaks, and testing yourself on the material reviewed.
- On exam day, eat a healthy breakfast, avoid excessive caffeine and last-minute cramming, and try to arrive a little early for the test with all the needed materials.
- Immediately prior to and/or during the exam, use deep breathing as needed to relax; if possible, scan the test and answer the easiest items first; try to stay focused on one item at a time; ignore the fact that others may finish before you do; and review your test carefully before turning it in.
The Student Center will present Finals Frenzy to include food, coffee, fun and activities to help ease the stress of studying and taking exams. Starting Saturday, April 30, South’s Student Center will remain open for 24 hours. Jaguar Productions is the co-sponsor for several of the events. Students will also have access to bubble wrap, to pop the stress way!
Latest University News
South Readies for Fall CommencementDr. Alvin Williams, professor in the Mitchell College of Business, wil...
December 6, 2019
Visit Mobile Honors Hospitality and Tourism ManagementSouth's department of hospitality and tourism management named Hospita...
November 22, 2019
'Celebrate the Season' With SouthThe department of music will host its annual holiday concert Dec. 6 on...
November 22, 2019
Black Alumni Society Requests NominationsNominations will be accepted through Dec. 18. The awards ceremony is s...
November 21, 2019