Six Holiday Ideas at South
Posted on November 28, 2023
Tis the season for good cheer, brisk weather and holiday spirit at the University of South Alabama. There are plenty of events and activities to share this year. Here are a half-dozen to consider:
- Take a selfie at the new holiday display. South opened the 2023 holiday season with a ceremonial lighting of two 32-foot-tall Christmas trees outside the Jag Gym on USA South Drive. It remains a fine backdrop for postcard photos or social media moments. Dusk might be the best time.
- Donate a toy. Generous Jaguars are encouraged to help fill a sleigh with donated toys at the Student Recreation Center through Saturday, Dec. 2. Selected children and families will share gifts and good cheer at Campus Recreation and Wellness' Holiday Havoc celebration.
- Buy a SouthPaw ornament. A new University holiday ornament series has been created, and this year’s decoration features SouthPaw wearing a Santa hat and throwing a J with his left paw. It’s manufactured by the same company that produces White House Historical Association ornaments. Visit the campus bookstore or southalabama.spirit.bncollege.com.
- Register for Pancakes & PJ’s with Santa Paws and Miss Pawla. Alumni and families will gather at 9 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 2, at the MacQueen Alumni Center. Space is limited, and pre-registration is required. There will be a pancake breakfast, ornament-making and souvenir photos with your favorite South mascots. Register online.
- Attend a holiday concert. Student vocal and instrumental ensembles at South will perform everything from “Jingle Bells” to a holiday mallet medley during a concert at 7 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 7, at the Mitchell Center. President Jo Bonner will host the concert, which will feature groups such as the USA Concert Choir, the USA Opera Theatre and the USA Wind Ensemble. The Jaguar Marching Band also will perform. Admission is free.
- Give student art as gifts. The Department of Art and Art History will host its annual holiday sale from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 8, in the Main Art Building and the Glass Art Building. Campus shoppers can support student creativity by choosing among works in animation, ceramics, drawing, glass, graphic design, painting, photography, printmaking and sculpture. A very South way to say Happy Holidays!
Latest University News
From A to GleeHow an early black and gold varsity letter from South survived hurrica...
February 19, 2024
Brass ActClassical tuba lifted Clayton Maddox from poverty and led him to South...
February 1, 2024
Freshman Retention Near Record LevelsUSA's initiatives paying dividends as first-time freshman cohort ...
January 31, 2024
Pence Named Mobile Poet LaureateDr. Charlotte Pence, director of South's Stokes Center for Creati...
January 22, 2024