National Bioethics Bowl 2019
The National Bioethics Bowl will be hosted by University of South Alabama on April 5-6, 2019.
What is National Bioethics Bowl?
The National Bioethics Bowl brings teams from colleges and universities around the country each year to discuss ethical challenges in biomedicine and technology.
Months before the event, the teams receive a case packet, containing 15 cases that raise ethical issues, and are tasked with crafting arguments for their positions on each case.
At National Bioethics Bowl, teams of five compete in several rounds of debate. In each round, two teams debate; each team is presented with a case and offered the opportunity to present their position, hear the reply from the opposing team, and respond to the opposing team and to judges.
How do teams sign up to compete?
Registration for the 2019 competition will open on February 4, 2019 at 10 am EST. Registration will close on February 14 at 11:59 pm or when spots are filled.
- Teams must pay the $300 fee on the online portal in order to complete registration. The portal will be run by the sponsor, The Prindle Institute of Depauw University.
- Spots will be secured on a first come, first served basis (with 26 teams competing).
- Only four-year accredited colleges and universities are eligible.
- If a team has fewer than 5 students, please enter "N/A" in the remaining member information boxes in order to proceed with registration.
- Student eligibility follows the APPE guidelines.
Here are the cases from last year's bowl. Case packets for the 2019 competition will be distributed to teams upon registration.
The University of South Alabama is located in Mobile, Alabama.
Here is an interactive map of the campus. The address of the Humanities Building is 5991 USA Drive North and the Student Center is 350 Campus Drive.
Travel & Accommodations
Would you like to get involved? Email email@example.com for more information!