The Office of Community Engagement at the University of South Alabama recognizes and provides assistance to innovative faculty who develops and implements course redesign projects to support academic success and the community. The Faculty Fellows program in Service Learning and Community Engagement is a one-year faculty development program that provides an opportunity for selected faculty members to integrate community-engaged learning into their teaching and research. They will become recognized campus leaders in learning pedagogy and community engagement. The fellowship includes a $1,400 stipend and an opportunity to renew participation for a second year for those members who complete the first year.
Faculty Fellows Program Goals:
- To improve the quantity and quality of service learning and community engagement student and faculty experiences at USA.
- To support faculty interested in developing service learning courses, adding service learning to existing courses, and building and/or expanding community partnerships.
- To provide professional development and a supportive network for the Faculty Fellows.
The 2020-2021 Faculty Fellows cohort demonstrated a personal commitment to learning more about community engagement in order to:
- Increase opportunities for students to apply their learning to real-world programs, expand their civil knowledge, and increase their ability to become agents of positive change, experience diversity, and better understand themselves in relation to others.
- Develop new opportunities for students to learn in collaboration with community partners.
- Develop sustainable and impactful relationships with community partners.
- Join a supportive cohort of community-engaged scholars at USA.
- Develop community-based projects connected to his research and teaching goals.
This award is through the Office of Community Engagement and the selection process is very competitive. The application process for the 2021-22 cohort will be announced in April of 2021. Invitations will be extended to the 2021-2022 cohort by June 2021. For more information about how to apply for this competitive award, email community engagement at firstname.lastname@example.org.