Institutional Scholarship Guidelines

▼   Do I have to be enrolled full-time to receive my scholarship?
Institutional Scholars must be enrolled full-time each fall and spring semester and earn 30 credit hours during the academic year. Students are highly encouraged to take, on average, 14-16 hours each fall and spring to stay on track for 30 hours. Be aware that repeating a course for which you have already earned credit will not contribute credit hours toward satisfying the 30-hour requirement for the year.
▼   What is the required GPA to renewal my institutional scholarship?
Institutional scholarship recipients must maintain a minimum 3.0 cumulative institutional GPA (after the spring semester) to be eligible for renewal in subsequent years.
▼   What options do I have if I do not meet the renewal requirements for my institutional scholarship?
If a student does not meet the renewal requirements at the end of the spring semester (i.e. had to withdraw from a course or GPA dropped below a 3.0), the student may enroll at USA, at their own expense, during the summer term to meet the requirements. The scholarship will be forfeited if renewal requirements are not met at the end of the summer semester. Qualified students can also participate in the Earn Back Program. 
▼   Can I receive in-state tuition if I am awarded an institutional scholarship?
USA offers in-state tuition to all out-of-state students awarded a scholarship for academic merit at the time of admission. To be eligible, students must qualify for the renewable Freshman Admission Scholarship or Community College Transfer Scholarship. Scholarship criteria must be met each academic year in order for the scholarship tuition waver to renew. 
▼   How do I use the Study Abroad portion of my Freshman Admission Scholarship?
Study Abroad Scholarships, awarded as part of a Freshman Admission Scholarship to qualifying students, may only be used once during the first four years of a student’s undergraduate degree. Students must complete the travel abroad application and request use of scholarship funds prior to the OIE scholarship application deadline in JagSPOT. 
▼   What types of charges can my institutional scholarship be used for?
Institutional scholarships are applied typically towards the payment of USA tuition and fees. In some cases the award may also be used for USA Housing, USA Dining, and required textbooks at the USA Bookstore. Scholarships may have additional award specifics or restrictions – please review your award letter carefully for individual scholarship guidelines.
▼   Is my institutional scholarship refundable?
Institutional scholarships are non-refundable.
▼   Can I roll unused institutional scholarship funds to another term? 
Institutional scholarship funds do not roll from term to term or year to year.
▼   Can I use my institutional scholarship for summer courses? 
Institutional scholarship funds may not be used for the summer term.
▼   What is the institutional cap?
A maximum has been established for the total combined amount a student may receive from all USA scholarships and aid funded through the institution or matched with institutional funds (all scholarships are considered institutional unless clearly documented as external). The maximum for the 2019/2020 academic aid year is $17,650.
▼   When will my institutional scholarship be renewed? 
Renewable scholarships will be reviewed after the end of the spring term, once all grades have been certified by the Office of the Registrar. Initial renewal notifications will be sent out in July each year. A second review period will take place at the end of the full summer term, once grades have been certified by the Office of the Registrar.
▼   What is the Earn Back Program? 
If a student does not meet the renewal criteria of their institutional scholarship at the end of the summer term, they may be eligible to participate in the Earn Back Program. Not all scholarships and aid are eligible to be earned back. For more information on the Earn Back Program and its requirements please visit the USA Institutional Scholarship Earn Back Program page.
▼   Can a grade replacement be used for my institutional scholarship renewal requirements? 
Grade replacement requests must be completed and submitted to the Office of the Registrar at the end of the completing term and must be processed prior to the first day of the subsequent term. Students must notify the Office of Scholarship Services in writing (email) when a request has been submitted. Without notification scholarship disbursements and renewals may be affected. 
▼   Can I be awarded a Freshman Admission Scholarship if I am a student-athlete? 
Student-athletes that participate in a head-count sport, for the University of South Alabama, receive athletic aid that covers 100% of their USA tuition and fees, room, board, and books. These student-athletes are not eligible to also receive USA Freshman Admission Scholarships.  
▼   Does the institutional scholarship cap apply to scholarship recipients in the College of Medicine? 
The institutional cap does not apply to scholarship recipients within the College of Medicine.