National Pan Hellenic Council
On May 10, 1930, the National Pan-Hellenic Council was formed on the campus of Howard University in Washington D.C. The stated purpose and mission of the organization in 1930 was “Unanimity of thought and action as far as possible in the conduct of Greek letter collegiate fraternities and sororities, and to consider problems of mutual interest to its member organizations.”
The National Pan-Hellenic Council is comprised of nine (9) International Greek Letter Sororities and Fraternities (Alpha Kappa Alpha, Alpha Phi Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta, Zeta Phi Beta, Iota Phi Theta, Kappa Alpha Psi, Sigma Gamma Rho, Phi Beta Sigma, and Omega Psi Phi).
In June, 1996, the National Pan-Hellenic Council was chartered at the University of South Alabama to promote interaction through forums, meetings, and other mediums for the exchange of information and engages in cooperative programming and initiatives through various activities and functions.
Currently at the University of South Alabama, the National Pan-Hellenic Council consists of Alpha Phi Alpha, Alpha Kappa Alpha, Omega Psi Phi, Delta Sigma Theta, Phi Beta Sigma, Zeta Phi Beta, and Sigma Gamma Rho.