South Honors Greek Community for Outstanding Achievement
Posted on May 16, 2016
Fraternities and sororities at the University of South Alabama were honored for outstanding service, leadership and academic achievement at the 2016 Greek Awards Banquet.
The Office of Greek Life hosted the awards event for the fraternities and sororities who are members of the Interfraternity, (IFC), College Panhellenic (CPC) and National Pan-Hellenic (NPHC) councils. Brigette Soderlind, assistant director of Student Activities at South, applauds the students for their commitment to academic excellence and service.
“We are excited to recognize the outstanding accomplishments of the students in our Greek community,” she said. “They balance their philanthropy, public service and academics to make sure they are meeting their personal goals and helping those in need.”
2016 Greek Award Winners
- The Eta Epsilon Chapter of Sigma Chi and the Beta Theta Chapter of Chi Omega are the recipients of the Dean’s Cup, which is the highest honor given to the USA Greek-letter organizations.
- The National Pan-Hellenic Council Chapters of the Year are the Theta Delta Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. and the Pi Omega Chapter of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Inc. These organizations have exemplified leadership, scholastic achievement and service.
- Tia Irvine of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc. of NPHC and Boni Yraguen of Phi Mu of CPC were each named Greek Woman of the Year. Rorye Scott of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc. of NPHC and Nicholas Blakely of Sigma Chi Fraternity of IFC were each named Greek Man of the Year.
- Greek scholarship and academic awards were given to Kappa Alpha Order Fraternity, Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc., Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Inc. and Chi Omega Fraternity for women.
- The Emily Ulmer Feinstein College Panhellenic, Interfraternity and National Pan-Hellenic Scholarship awards were presented to Sharon Williams with the Beta Theta Chapter of Chi Omega, CPC; Drew Tranchina with the Eta Epsilon Chapter of Sigma Chi, IFC; and Victoria Jackson with the Epsilon Upsilon Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc., NPHC.
- Outstanding New Member awards were given to Morgan Rogers of Chi Omega Fraternity for women, CPC, and Dalton Vaughn of Sigma Chi IFC. The Outstanding Neophyte awards were given to Jasmine Jordan of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc. and Jordan Carter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc.
- Outstanding President awards were given to Shelby Begley of Phi Mu and Caitlin Jackson of Chi Omega, CPC; John Calametti of Sigma Chi, IFC; Raven McCall of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc. and Ravaughn Pope of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc., NPHC.
- The Public Service Award for NPHC was given to the Pi Omega Chapter of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Inc. The Public Service Award for IFC was presented to the Gamma Phi Chapter of Pi Kappa Phi. This year’s Daisy Keeton Service trophy for CPC was given to the Beta Theta Chapter of Chi Omega.
- The Campus Involvement awards were given to the Beta Theta Chapter of Chi Omega, CPC; the Epsilon Upsilon Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc., NPHC; the Theta Delta Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc., NPHC and the Nu Mu Chapter of Tau Kappa Epsilon, IFC.
- The NPHC Program of the Year Award was given to the Epsilon Upsilon Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc. for its 45th Anniversary Celebration.
Additional Greek Community Recognitions
- The Zeta Kappa Chapter of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc. will be representing the region in the “March Down” for the 2016 national conference in Las Vegas.
- The Pi Omega Chapter of Sigma Gamma Rho received the Empowerment Award at the 2016 Southeastern Regional Conference. The organization placed third in the undergraduate category. The Southeastern region is comprised of Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina, Florida and the Bahamas.
Interfraternity Council Wins Top Regional Award
The Interfraternity Council won top awards at the 50th Southeastern Interfraternity Conference in Atlanta.
USA’s IFC won The Fraternal Excellence Award, The Gregory R. Singleton Fraternity Man of the Year Award and third place in the Order of Omega Case Study Competition Student-Advisor Track.
The Fraternal Excellence Award is given for best practices of an IFC community. The IFC had to comply with at least 85 percent of the best practices assessed by the awards community. Nicholas Blakley of Sigma Chi won Man of the Year, which recognizes an undergraduate fraternity man in the southeast.
USA IFC Vice President, Judicial, Brent Carr, was elected to serve as vice president of communications for the SEIFC Student Executive Board for 2016-2017.
The Office of Greek Life at USA oversees 19 sororities and fraternities and the three governing councils: National Pan-Hellenic Council, College Panhellenic Council and Interfraternity Council. The NPHC fraternities and sororities hold interest meetings in the fall and spring of the academic year with membership intake decided on later in the year. Fall Formal Recruitment for CPC occurs the week before classes begin during the fall semester, and the IFC recruits the third week of fall semester.
For more information about CPC, IFC and NPHC, call Brigette Soderlind, assistant director of Student Activities, at (251) 460-7003. Petre’ Freeman serves as advisor for NPHC and coordinator for the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs. She can be reached at (251) 460-6895.
Latest University News
Holiday Concert Celebrates 60 Years of South AlabamaSouth celebrates its annual Holiday Concert featuring the theme "...
November 27, 2023
Roots of ResearchDr. Tuan Tran wins a USDA grant to study a soil-based pathogen that ca...
November 21, 2023
South Student Receives National AwardNoel Godang receives the Sydney D. Rodenburg Memorial Scholastic Award...
November 15, 2023
Start the Presses!The Vanguard student newspaper bucks online publishing trend by adding...
November 14, 2023