Portuguese Language Study
Introductory Course Objectives
- To understand spoken Portuguese (Brazilian dialect) on topics ranging from social to moderately academic
- To master a vocabulary of 5,000 words over the course of the two semesters
- To conduct social conversations with ease
- To demonstrate an educated knowledge of the Brazilian Portuguese community, its people and cultural practices/contributions
- To acknowledge the difference between Brazilian Portuguese and the standard Portuguese language spoken in Portugal, the community that language represents as well as its people and cultural practices/contributions
- To apply correct linguistic conventions in a non-native language
Course Structure and Grading
The mid-term oral exam will be scheduled sometime during the 7th and/or 8th week of classes and will be conducted via Zoom; this mid-term oral exam grade counts for 40% of the overall course grade.
By the end of the term, all students are expected to have developed basic skills in the target language, all of which will be tested on a comprehensive final oral exam that will be scheduled sometime during the last week of classes. This final oral exam grade counts for the remaining 60% of the overall course grade.
There are no other factors used in determining your overall grade in this course.
To register for this course you must first complete the Portuguese application below.
*Priority registration for this course is given to specific majors as listed in the bulletin.
If you have questions, please contact:
LTLs Program Director