The University of South Alabama Department of Accounting partners each year with the United Way of Southwest Alabama to prepare tax returns free of charge for those who qualify. The primary target audience is the University community (including University Hospital employees, Women and Children’s Hospital employees, and other medical staff employed by USA. On Saturdays members of the Mobile community are invited to participate. The tax returns are prepared as part of the Internal Revenue Service’s VITA program (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance).
- The service is completely free
- Federal and state taxes are completed for free
- Most filers complete their taxes in about an hour
- Tax forms are completed by IRS certified volunteers
- Tax returns are prepared on Mondays 2-5 PM, Wednesdays 2-5 PM, and Saturdays 10 AM to 2 PM
- This service is available for anyone whose income is $54,000 or less for 2019.
- Bring: all w-2s, 1099s, or other proof of income, proof of deductions claimed, proof of tuition payment for students, a copy of the 2018 Tax Forms, a valid driver's license, social security card of the taxpayer and spouse and any other dependents, and a completed IRS form Intake Form which may be found at Form 13614-C
- The service is available until April 13, 2020
- Tax returns are prepared on the University of South Alabama Campus in the Mitchell College of Business in room 147
- Click here to make an appointment
- There will be a separate site for International Students. An announcement will be forthcoming soon with specifics. International Students should NOT make appointments at the above site.