Welcome to the University of South Alabama. We appreciate your interest. This is an exciting moment in the life of an incoming college student. Just imagine yourself on a 1,200-acre campus in Mobile, a charming city on the beautiful Gulf Coast. You could continue your education, share our traditions and help shape the future at South.
We hope you’ll plan a visit. Fill out an application. Apply for a scholarship.
As an incoming freshman, you might feel overwhelmed. No worries. Our recruitment staff is here to help you every step of the way. Get started by browsing the View Book. Learn about our academic offerings and early acceptance programs for professional schools. Check out on-campus living and activities.
This is your time. Make the most of it. Start now.
|Semester of Entry||Priority Deadline|
|Fall (August)||July 15|
|Spring (January)||December 1|
|Summer (June)||May 1|
The application fee is $35 for online applications and $45 for paper applications.
If you prefer to mail in your application, print out the application form, fill it out and mail it to:
USA Office of Admissions
2500 Meisler Hall
390 Student Center Circle
Mobile, AL 36688-0002
The University of South Alabama understands that some students have had difficulty
taking the ACT or SAT this year, due to COVID19. Further, we understand that students
might be uncomfortable testing or re-testing in the current environment this fall
and spring. Because of these conditions, USA will be offering spring, summer, and
fall 2021 applicants a test-optional path for admission to USA. Students who take
this route could be asked to supply additional materials. Students who choose the
test optional track will also be eligible for scholarships. Scholarships for test-optional
students will be awarded based on strength of curriculum, grades, and a variety of
other factors. Students are now eligible to select test-optional on their applications.
We do recommend that students with ACT 21 or better and/or SAT 1060 or better submit
their scores. Students who have already applied to South can connect with our Office
of Admissions, email@example.com, to review their options.
- Official high school transcript reflecting a minimum 2.50 GPA
- Official ACT or SAT scores: a minimum ACT superscore of 19 OR a minimum SAT (critical reading + math only) score of 900 (if taken prior to March 2016) OR a minimum SAT (Evidence-based reading and writing + math only) score of 990 (if take March 2016 or after)
- These standards are general requirements. All students with strong academic records are encouraged to apply for admission.
Required Academic Core Courses:
- 4 years of English
- 3 years of social science
- 3 years of Math- Must include Algebra I and two higher level math courses (for example: Algebra II, Algebra w/ Finance, Algebraic Connections, Geometry,
- Trigonometry, Analytical Geometry, Pre-Calculus, or other higher level math courses will be considered)
- 3 years of science (At least two of the sciences must include labs)
- 3 years of advanced electives (Courses chosen from any of the four core areas above and may include foreign language)
The Alabama High School Diploma with Advanced Endorsement meets all University of South Alabama core requirements. The Credit Based Diploma awarded by Alabama High Schools is accepted; however, students must meet all high school core requirements listed above.
Students will be permitted to enroll in mathematics classes at USA based on either a prerequisite course, their Math-ACT score, their Math-SAT score, or the Mathematics Placement test. Mathematics placement can be found here. Students may also be required to take reading or English courses based upon their ACT-English, ACT-Reading or SAT-Critical Reading score.
GED First Time Freshmen applicants sat for the high school level General Education Development (GED) test and did not graduate from high school. Applicants must be at least 17 years of age.
- Required Official Documents: Official GED scores.
- Academic Requirements: Students taking the test prior to January 2014, must score an average of at least a 500 or a 50, if taken before January 2002. Students taking the GED beginning January 2014 must score at least a 170 in each subject area.
Special Freshmen applicants have graduated from high school five or more years ago or have reached the age of 23.
- Required Official Documents: Official high school transcript
Accelerated College Enrollment Program
Accelerated College Enrollment Program (ACEP) applicants are students who live in Mobile or Baldwin Counties, have completed their Junior year of high school, and are eligible to take a free course at USA.
- Required Official Documents: Official high school transcript, official ACT or SAT scores, and a letter of recommendation from the high school counselor.
- Academic Requirements: Minimum ACT superscore of 25 or SAT of 1130 (if taken prior to March 2016) or SAT of 1200 (if taken March 2016 or after); high school grade-point average of at least 3.0 (‘B’); favorable recommendation from the high school counselor; must reside in Mobile or Baldwin counties in Alabama.
Early Admission Applicants
- Early Admission applicants are students who have completed their junior year of high school and wish to enroll prior to high school graduation.
- Required Official Documents: Official high school transcript, official ACT or SAT, and a letter of recommendation from the high school counselor.
- Academic Requirements: Minimum ACT superscore of 28 or SAT of 1250 (if taken prior to March 2016) or SAT of 1310 (if taken March 2016 or after); high school grade-point average of at least 3.5 (B+); favorable recommendation from the high school counselor.