Welcome to the University of South Alabama. We appreciate your interest. This is an exciting moment in the life of an incoming college student. Just imagine yourself on a 1,200-acre campus in Mobile, a charming city on the beautiful Gulf Coast. You could continue your education, share our traditions and help shape the future at South.
We hope you’ll plan a visit. Fill out an application. Apply for a scholarship.
As an incoming freshman, you might feel overwhelmed. No worries. Our recruitment staff is here to help you every step of the way. Get started by browsing the View Book. Learn about our academic offerings and early acceptance programs for professional schools. Check out on-campus living and activities.
This is your time. Make the most of it. Start now.
|Semester of Entry||Priority Deadline|
|Fall (August)||July 15|
|Spring (January)||December 1|
|Summer (June)||May 1|
The application fee is $35 for online applications and $45 for paper applications.
If you prefer to mail in your application, print out the application form, fill it out and mail it to:
USA Office of Admissions
2500 Meisler Hall
390 Student Center Circle
Mobile, AL 36688-0002
- Official high school transcript reflecting a minimum 2.50 GPA
- Official ACT or SAT scores: a minimum ACT superscore of 19 OR a minimum SAT (critical reading + math only) score of 900 (if taken prior to March 2016) OR a minimum SAT (Evidence-based reading and writing + math only) score of 990 (if take March 2016 or after)
- These standards are general requirements. All students with strong academic records are encouraged to apply for admission.
Required Academic Core Courses:
- 4 years of English
- 3 years of social science
- 3 years of Math- Must include Algebra I and two higher level math courses (for example: Algebra II, Algebra w/ Finance, Algebraic Connections, Geometry,
- Trigonometry, Analytical Geometry, Pre-Calculus, or other higher level math courses will be considered)
- 3 years of science (At least two of the sciences must include labs)
- 3 years of advanced electives (Courses chosen from any of the four core areas above and may include foreign language)
The Alabama High School Diploma with Advanced Endorsement meets all University of South Alabama core requirements. The Credit Based Diploma awarded by Alabama High Schools is accepted; however, students must meet all high school core requirements listed above.
Students will be permitted to enroll in mathematics classes at USA based on either a prerequisite course, their Math-ACT score, their Math-SAT score, or the Mathematics Placement test. Mathematics placement can be found here. Students may also be required to take reading or English courses based upon their ACT-English, ACT-Reading or SAT-Critical Reading score.
GED First Time Freshmen applicants sat for the high school level General Education Development (GED) test and did not graduate from high school. Applicants must be at least 17 years of age.
- Required Official Documents: Official GED scores.
- Academic Requirements: Students taking the test prior to January 2014, must score an average of at least a 500 or a 50, if taken before January 2002. Students taking the GED beginning January 2014 must score at least a 170 in each subject area.
Special Freshmen applicants have graduated from high school five or more years ago or have reached the age of 23.
- Required Official Documents: Official high school transcript
Accelerated College Enrollment Program
Accelerated College Enrollment Program (ACEP) applicants are students who live in Mobile or Baldwin Counties, have completed their Junior year of high school, and are eligible to take a free course at USA.
- Required Official Documents: Official high school transcript, official ACT or SAT scores, and a letter of recommendation from the high school counselor.
- Academic Requirements: Minimum ACT superscore of 25 or SAT of 1130 (if taken prior to March 2016) or SAT of 1200 (if taken March 2016 or after); high school grade-point average of at least 3.0 (‘B’); favorable recommendation from the high school counselor; must reside in Mobile or Baldwin counties in Alabama.
Early Admission Applicants
- Early Admission applicants are students who have completed their junior year of high school and wish to enroll prior to high school graduation.
- Required Official Documents: Official high school transcript, official ACT or SAT, and a letter of recommendation from the high school counselor.
- Academic Requirements: Minimum ACT superscore of 28 or SAT of 1250 (if taken prior to March 2016) or SAT of 1310 (if taken March 2016 or after); high school grade-point average of at least 3.5 (B+); favorable recommendation from the high school counselor.
The University of South Alabama understands that some students have had difficulty taking the ACT or SAT this year, due to COVID19. Further, we understand that students might be uncomfortable testing or re-testing in the current environment this fall and spring. Because of these conditions, USA will be offering spring, summer, and fall 2021 applicants a test-optional path for admission to USA. Students who take this route could be asked to supply additional materials, which include an essay and letter of recommendation.
Students who choose the test optional track will also be eligible for scholarships. Scholarships for test-optional students will be awarded based on strength of curriculum, grades, and a variety of other factors. Students are now eligible to select test-optional on their applications. We do recommend that students with ACT 21 or better and/or SAT 1060 or better submit their scores for best scholarship consideration. Students who have already applied to South can connect with our Office of Admissions, email@example.com, or speak with their recruitment counselor to review their options.
- Activate your JagNet Student Account at southalabama.edu/services/jagnet.
- Login to your JagMail and PAWS (Personal Access Web System) accounts
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid for financial aid at fafsa.gov
(FAFSA opens up October 1st). Visit the USA One Stop Financial Resources
page at southalabama.edu/onestop/financialresources.
- Apply for USA Housing at southalabama.edu/housing and pay deposit.
- Register for Southbound, your New Student Orientation, and pay the
fee in your admissions portal. Visit southalabama.edu/orientation for more
- Summer and Fall orientation registration opens in January.
- Spring orientation registration opens in November.
- Submit immunization information and records through the Student Health Web
Portal at https://www.southalabama.edu/departments/studenthealth/immunization.html. Please contact the Student Health Center at 251-460-7151, if you need assistance.
- Request final official transcript(s) be submitted to South, if you have not yet
done so. If applicable, also submit official test scores (i.e. ACT/SAT, IB/AP).
- Meet with your academic advisor to register for courses in PAWS. Your advisor
will contact you for an appointment after you register for orientation. Some
students may be required to take a placement test.
- Attend your scheduled orientation.
- After semester billing posts to your student account, pay tuition or set up a payment
plan via PAWS. See southalabama.edu/onestop/financialresources for
- Order your textbooks and other materials for classes as required.
- Submit JagID photo to the Student Center’s Jag Card Office at
southalabama.edu/departments/studentcenter/photosubmission. You will
be notified via JagMail when you can pick up your JagID.
- Join the Admitted Student Facebook Group to start making connections and
receive up-to-date information.
- Visit our campus or check out other opportunities at southalabama.edu/visit.
- Log in to JagSPOT at southalabama.edu/scholarships to:
- Accept all scholarships offered in JagSPOT, if awarded.
- Search and apply for additional USA scholarships in JagSPOT.
- Complete your special programs application in JagSPOT, if you meet the
requirements and desire consideration.
« Early Acceptance Program southalabama.edu/earlyacceptance
« Honors College - southalabama.edu/colleges/honors
- Complete Title IX training to ensure we are working together to keep our campus
a safe environment for everyone. You should receive an email to your JagMail
and should email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance.
- If you plan to have a vehicle or bicycle on campus, register with USA Parking
Services at https://southalabama.t2hosted.com/Account/Portal.
- Review financial and academic deadlines on the academic calendar, southalabama.edu/academiccalendar
- If you’re interested in the Student & Scholar Health Insurance, be sure
to review the health insurance plan information for details at southalabama.
- If you need accommodations, please visit southalabama.edu/sds/ to learn more
about Student Disability Services.
- Complete the brief on-line alcohol prevention program, Alcohol eCHECKUP
TO GO, at https://interwork.sdsu.edu/echeckup/usa/alc/coll/index.php?id=USA&hfs=true#main. Your responses will remain confidential.
- Complete the USA Sports Interest Survey, a tool that aids in sports planning and
programming at https://southalabama.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/
- If you are interested in departmental programs (for example, Jaguar Marching
Band), be sure to check the department’s website to learn about the requirements
- Check out our student organizations and ways to get involved. Visit https://www.southalabama.edu/departments/studentactivities/.