RN to BSN Pathway
The University of South Alabama College of Nursing RN to BSN Pathway is specifically designed to meet the needs of Registered Nurses with a current RN license seeking a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree.
The RN to BSN Professional Component consists of courses that address knowledge, skills, and attitudes that are needed to be successful in today’s dynamic healthcare settings. You will enjoy challenging yourself as you explore relevant topics related to modern day professional nursing issues. This program is taught entirely online and is a flexible option for working students who are managing work and family responsibilities as well as educational assignments. Graduates will have the skills to provide enhanced patient care, critique and apply research to clinical practice. Graduates will increase their skills and knowledge about informatics in healthcare, will have a better understanding of global health issues, and will be better prepared to collaborate with the interprofessional team in providing quality care in multiple work settings.
RN to BSN Professional Component
- The Profession Component consists of six (6) fully online nursing courses for a total of 24 credit hours.
- These courses must be completed at the University of South Alabama.
- Upper division nursing courses taken at another institution will not transfer or apply toward the 24 credit hours required to earn the BSN degree at USA.
- Students proceed through the six online nursing courses at their desired pace.
- The Professional Component may be completed in a minimum of two (2) semesters.
- The Professional Component must be completed within five (5) years of beginning the BSN curriculum.
Professional Component Course Work – 24 Total Credits
- NU 450 Leadership & Management Roles for Professional Nursing Practice 4 credit hours
- NU 451 Current Issues and Trends in Professional Nursing Practice 4 credit hours
- NU 452 Clinical Prevention and Population Health 4 credit hours
- NU 453 Information Management and Technology in Healthcare 4 credit hours
- NU 454 Research and Evidence Based Practice 4 credit hours
- NU 455 Concepts of Interprofessional Practice 4 credit hours
Prerequisite Courses – 59 Total Credits
- EH 101 English Composition I 3 credit hours
- EH 102 English Composition II 3 credit hours
Humanities and Fine Arts
- Fine Arts 3 credit hours
- Literature 3 credit hours
- Humanities 3 credit hours
- *Humanities or second Literature 3 credit hours
Natural Sciences and Mathematics
- MA 110 or MA 112 Mathematics 3 credit hours
- CH 101/101L Chemistry with Lab (or Biology and Lab) 4 credit hours
- Second Science and Lab 4 credit hours
History, Social and Behavioral Science
- History 3 credit hours
- PSY 120 Psychology 3 credit hours
- Social Science 3 credit hours
- *Second History or Social Science or Behavioral Science 3 credit hours
Additional Pre-Nursing Requirements
- BMD 251 Human Anatomy & Physiology I with Lab I 4 credit hours
- BMD 252 Human Anatomy & Physiology II with Lab II 4 credit hours
- BMD 213/214L Microbiology with Lab 4 credit hours
- ST 210 or ST 305 Statistics 3 credit hours
- CIS 150 Computer Applications 3 credit hours
- *Students must complete a 6-hour sequence in Literature or History
Dr. Pam Johnson - Program Coordinator
Leigh Holland - RN-BSN Academic Advisor
Kristyn Seawell – RN-BSN Academic Advisor