The Department of Speech Pathology and Audiology is a community of scholars and practitioners
educating students using models of best practice in diverse academic and clinical
learning experiences, research, and service.
The mission of the Department of Speech Pathology and Audiology is to provide undergraduate,
master’s, and doctoral programs that challenge the student to achieve the highest
standards of academic learning, scientific inquiry, and clinical excellence.
The Strategic Plan for the Department of Speech Pathology and Audiology includes goals for student success and access, enhancement of research and graduate education, global engagement, excellence in healthcare, and university-community engagement.
- Goal 1: Use evidence-based practice and research to guide and evaluate all academic and clinical programs.
- Goal 2: Include all students in clinical learning experiences.
- Goal 3: Engage students in and educate students about professional organizations through promotion of participation in those organizations.
- Goal 4: Monitor student achievement of knowledge and skills outcomes across time.
- Goal 5: Maintain syllabi illustrating how the outcomes will be demonstrated through course work and clinical experiences.
- Goal 6: Conduct ongoing evaluation of outcome based education, modify policy as indicated, and disseminate findings professionally.
- Goal 7: Provide opportunities for students to engage in evidence-based practice to foster professional growth.
- Goal 8: Promote scholarly study in the area of normal communication, linguistic variation, and disorders in culturally and linguistically diverse populations.
- Goal 9: Engage in best clinical practices regarding prevention, identification, and treatment for culturally and linguistically diverse populations.
- Goal 1: Strengthen the on-campus clinical training programs and facilities in the University of South Alabama Speech and Hearing Center.
- Goal 2: Maximize off-campus clinical training opportunities and further enhance relationships with off-site clinical supervisors.
- Goal 3: Provide continuing education opportunities for internal and external clinical preceptors.
- Goal 4: Build the multi-professional and inter-professional aspects of our graduate clinical training programs.
- Goal 5: Increase participation of Ph.D. students in department research and programs.
- Goal 6: Increase opportunities of all students to participate in collaborative research.
- Goal 7: Provide ongoing assessment of curricula and modify if needed to promote highest quality undergraduate and graduate programs.
- Goal 8: Increase faculty participation and leadership in professional organizations.
- Goal 9: Increase the number of faculty publications annually in peer-review publications.
- Goal 10: Increase the number of faculty external grant submissions annually.
- Goal 11: Increase the amount of extramural funding obtained by the faculty.
- Goal 1: Increase the diversity of the patient population of the USA Speech and Hearing Center.
- Goal 2: Promote study abroad programs to students and faculty.
- Goal 3: Create a course for students who are preparing for a study abroad program.
- Goal 1: Continue to enhance the quality of existing clinical programs and develop new programs at the USA Speech and Hearing Center.
- Goal 2: Collaborate with allied health, nursing, medical, and other programs at the University of South Alabama in the provision of health and human services to individuals and families in the Gulf Coast area.
- Goal 3: Collaborate with regional service agencies in the provision of health and human services to individuals and families in the Gulf Coast area.
- Goal 1: Engage in open, honest, and frequent communication with established and potential community partners.
- Goal 2: Cultivate an environment conducive to fully shared decision making.
- Goal 3: Conduct ongoing evaluations of progress toward collaboration.
- Goal 4: Institutionalize best practices from collaborative effort.