Master of Library Service
University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL 1987
B.A. in Communications
University of South Alabama, Mobile, AL 1985
- Using technology in patient/family education-- Currently collecting data to determine evidence-based guidelines for best practices in patient/family education looking at the effectiveness of various educational interventions using Android tablets to access NLM/NIH and other patient education resources.
- Genetic Disorders and Diseases --Consumer advocate for National Library of Medicine's
Genetics Home Reference and Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center
Publications & Presentations
- Fenske, Rachel F. "Tablet Computer Use at the Beside in a New Patient/Family Education Program." Journal of Hospital Librarianship. (published online)
- Fenske, Rachel. F. "USA Biomedical Library Receives 2nd NNLM SE/A Technology Improvement Award." Southern Expressions 34, no.3 (Summer 2018): 3-4.
- Fenske, Rachel F. “University of South Alabama Biomedical Library Receives NN/LM Technology Improvement Award.” Southern Expressions 33, no.2 (Spring 2017): 3-4.
- Fenske, Rachel F. “Inspiring People in Our Region: Rachel F. Fenske, Librarian-University of the Virgin Islands.” SEA Currents, Newsletter of the NN/LM Southeastern/Atlantic Region, July 30, 2012.
- “Library Instruction Feedback Form.” In Assessment in College Library Instruction Programs, complied by Lawrie H. Metz and Beth L. Mark. Chicago: College Library Information Packet Committee, College Library Section, Association of College and Research Libraries, 2002.
- Fenske, Rachel and Ann Roselle. “Crossing to Web-Based Instruction: The Importance of Instructional Assessment.” Crossing the Divide: Proceedings of the ACRL Tenth National Conference, Denver, 15-18 March 2001. Ed. Hugh A. Thompson. Chicago: American Library Association, 2001. 219-225.
- Fenske, Rachel F. "Transitioning From Print to Web: A Publisher's Perspective. Gale Group." Reference and User Services Quarterly 39, no.4 (Summer 2000): 342-345.
- Fenske, Rachel F. “Library Instruction Teaching Tips: Presentation Skills.” American Library Association: Library Instruction Round Table Research Committee, 1999.
- Fenske, Rachel F. “Computer Literacy and the Library: A New Connection.” Reference Services Review 26, no. 2 (Summer 1998): 67-72, 78.
- Fenske, Rachel F. and Ann Roselle. “Proving the Efficacy of Library Instruction Evaluation.” Research Strategies 16 (1998): 175-185.
- Fenske, Rachel F. “Career and Employment Resources on the Internet.” In “Reference Sources on the Internet: Off the Shelf and onto the Web. Ed. Karen R. Diaz. New York: Haworth Press, 1997. 21-30. Co-published simultaneously in The Reference Librarian 27, no. 57 (1997): 21-30.
- Fenske, Rachel F. and Susan E. Clark. "Incorporating Library Instruction in a General Education Program for College Freshmen." Reference Services Review 23, no. 3 (Fall 1995): 69-74.
- Fenske, Rachel. "Reference Update." California Libraries (January 1992): 12.
Major contributor to: Davis, Lee. California Indian Library Collections. CILC Catalog of Collections: Del Norte County. Berkeley: University of California, Lowie Museum of Anthropology, California Indian Project, 1990.
- Lemley, Trey and Rachel F. Fenske. “Culinary Medicine: Health Professionals Collaborating to Bring Health and Nutrition to the Community.” Poster session presented at the Medical Library Association Annual Conference, “Dream, Dare, Do”, Seattle, WA, May 29, 2017.
- Fenske, Rachel F. “Locating Consumer Health Information from the National Library of Medicine.” Presentation at the University of South Alabama’s Med School Café, USA Health Strada Patient Care Center, Mobile, AL, May 26, 2017.
- Fenske, Rachel F. “Endnote X3”. Presentation at the University of the Virgin Islands, New Faculty Orientation, St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands, August 12, 2009.
- Fenske, Rachel F. “Opening Doors in Paradise: The Power of a Library Card.” Poster session presented at the American Library Association Annual Conference, Chicago, IL, June 26, 2005.
- Fenske, Rachel F. and Ann Roselle. “Crossing to Web-Based Instruction: The Importance of Instructional Assessment.” Paper presented at the 10th National Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) Conference, “Crossing the Divide”, Denver, CO, March 17, 2001.
- Fenske, Rachel F. "Taking the Guesswork Out of Curriculum Change for Library Instruction Sessions." Presentation at the 10th Annual Higher Education Assessment Conference, "Assessment: Its Influence on Learning, Teaching, and Institutional Effectiveness", Spokane, WA, May 6, 1999.
- Fenske, Rachel and Tim Hacker. “A Basic Writing Course for Students to Reflect on Expert Collaboration.” Paper presented at the National Council of Teachers of English Conference “Practice, Theory, Reflection and Action: Transforming Classrooms, Schools and English Studies”, Seattle, WA, June 19, 1998.
- Fenske, Rachel F. “Computer Literacy and the Library: A Great Connection!” Poster session presented at the American Library Association Conference, San Francisco, CA, June 30, 1997.
- Fenske, Rachel and Suzanne Milton. “Library Systems.” Presentation at the Eastern Washington University Digifest ’97 Cheney, WA May 15, 1997.
- Fenske, Rachel F. "Teaching Library Skills to College Freshman: Incorporating Library Instruction into General Education." Poster session presented at the American Library Association Annual Conference, New Orleans, LA., June 26, 1993.
- Exhibitor at the University of California at Berkeley Extension Services Conference, "Developing Library Collections for California's Emerging Majority," September 22-23, 1990, San Francisco.
- Fenske, Rachel F. “Sources of Information on Investments.” Presented at the 49/99 Cooperative Library System's Business Workshop, "Helping Patrons with Business Questions," April 13, 1989, California State University, Stanislaus.
- Recipient of a $2,000 Exhibit Award from the National Library of Medicine, National Network of Libraries of Medicine, Southeastern/Atlantic Region. Award allowed participation in the Area Agency on Aging, Senior Lifestyles Expo, October 4, 2017, Mobile, AL.
- Recipient of a $5,000 Technology Improvement Award from the National Library of Medicine, National Network of Libraries of Medicine, Southeastern/Atlantic Region. Grant purchased equipment to create a patient/family education program for the USA Children’s and Women’s Hospital, Mobile, AL. November 2016 – April 2017.
- Received American Library Association’s grant funding award for “Let’s Talk About It: Love and Forgiveness” reading and book discussion program for public libraries, Summer 2008.
- American Library Association. Library Instruction Round Table (LIRT) Library Tutorials Web Site received a Links2Go Award as well as special recognition by the ALA Executive Board. Summer 1998.