Find Your Future
The College of Arts and Sciences at the University of South Alabama invites you to
share an intellectual and creative journey with our dedicated and dynamic faculty.
Earning a Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Fine Arts, Bachelor of Music, or Graduate degree from the College of Arts and Sciences will be a defining experience for you and a stepping-stone to your future success. A baccalaureate degree in one of our many undergraduate degree programs, or a masters or doctor of philosophy degree in one of our graduate degree programs, will give you the opportunity to discover and explore your passion, and find your future career. In the years after graduation, Arts and Sciences majors have among the highest rates of employment and the greatest gains in median salary of any major – visit our webpage on the value of an A&S degree for details.
Our programs offer many of the advantages of an expensive private-school education, such as high-quality, engaged research faculty, small class sizes, and individualized attention, at a fraction of the cost of most private schools. And in contrast to many large universities, the majority (79%) of the course hours taught in the College are taught by full-time faculty. This compares very favorably with the average US university, where fewer than one-half of course hours are taught by full-time faculty.
- Approximately 250 full-time, research-active, and student-focused faculty members providing individual attention.
- 24 Undergraduate Majors, 13 Graduate Programs, and nearly 50 Undergraduate Concentrations.
- Nearly all Arts and Sciences faculty have the highest degree in their field (Ph.D. or equivalent) and are active researchers or artists.
- Small class sizes, with a 21:1 student-faculty ratio university-wide. Many Arts and Sciences programs have even better student-faculty ratios.
- A high percentage (79%) of courses in the College are taught by full-time professors.
- Over 100 Arts and Sciences College scholarships are available, plus hundreds of University scholarships.
- Modern classrooms, laboratories, and computer labs.
- Vibrant student organizations in nearly every major.
Frequently Asked Questions
- You can read about the different departments and major descriptions on the Arts and Sciences website, to see what interests you.
- You can talk with one of our professional advisors in the Arts and Sciences Advising Center. These advisors will know what kind of major might be a good match with your interests and skills. To make an appointment, visit our Advising Center webpage, choose Making Appointment, and then choose “Make an Appointment with Ms. Shylonda Stewart”.
- You can talk to the faculty of any program you are interested in to learn about career options in that major.
- The University of South Alabama Career Center offers a range of career advising and testing to help you pick a major that matches your interests and aptitude.