Visiting Student Diversity Scholarship
The University of South Alabama Department of Surgery is proud to offer a Visiting Student Diversity Scholarship to provide support for fourth-year medical students interested in participating in a four-week surgical Acting-Internship at our academic medical center. The mission of the scholarship is to expose medical students from underrepresented backgrounds to the General Surgery training program in the Department of Surgery at USA. The award aims to increase the number of Under-Represented in Medicine (URM) trainees in the General Surgery residency program at USA and in surgery as a whole. Medical students selected for this scholarship will be invited for a residency interview at USA.
- Fourth-year medical student in good standing at an accredited U.S. allopathic/osteopathic medical school
- Student must self-identify as under-represented in medicine (URM - African American, Hispanic, Native American, Pacific Islander/Native Hawaiian).
- Students must have completed all core clerkships.
- Students must have successfully passed USMLE Step 1.
- $1,500 stipend toward travel, food and housing
- Matched with a resident mentor
- Matched with two faculty mentors: one within the AI of choice (colorectal, GI surgery, Surgical Critical Care) and Dr. Hanna Alemayehu, assistant program director
- One-on-one advisement with General Surgery Program Director Dr. Leander Grimm
- Networking opportunities with faculty, residents and students interested in your success
- Dinner with General Surgery residency leadership and select residents
Scholar Responsibilities and Rotation Details
- One-month rotation on Colorectal Surgery, GI and Laparoscopic Surgery, or Surgical Critical Care at University Hospital
- Attendance at weekly resident didactics
- Attendance at weekly Grand Rounds
- Visiting students will adhere to the appropriate USA Health and USA College of Medicine COVID-19 safety protocols while participating in an elective.
How to Apply
Please send the following to Tyronda Rogers, General Surgery residency program coordinator, at email@example.com:
- Personal statement (500 words max) -- Tell us about yourself, delineate your interest in a career in general surgery, your interest in the University of South Alabama, and why you qualify for this scholarship.
- Visiting Student Diversity Scholarship Application Form [PDF]
- Letter of good standing from dean’s office
- Standard application through VSAS required
Visiting students can begin an in-person away rotation no earlier than August 16, 2021, which corresponds with Block 3 of the AY 2021-2022 M4 academic calendar. Applications must be received by May 15, 2021. Awards will be made by June 30.