University of South Alabama National Alumni Association Elects New Officers, Directors
Posted on September 7, 2018
The University of South Alabama National Alumni Association elected three new officers and six new directors during its annual membership meeting on Thursday, August 30. The officers will lead the organization, with more than 5,400 members, until August 2020.
Patrick Dungan is the Association’s president. Dungan graduated from USA’s College of Arts and Sciences in 2006 and received a J.D. from the University of South Carolina School of Law in 2011. He is an associate attorney with Adams and Reese, LLP in Mobile. Dungan is also co-owner of AFC Mobile, Mobile's semi-pro men's soccer team. He and his wife, Laurie, also a South alumna, have two children, Jonas and Rowan.
Jim Moore, a resident of New Orleans, is the Association’s vice president. Moore earned a degree in chemical engineering in 1990 from the University of South Alabama and has worked with Phillips 66 since 2006, where he serves as process engineering superintendent. He previously served as secretary/treasurer for the Alumni Association.
Kim Lawkis, the Association’s secretary/treasurer, earned a dual B.A. in history and English in 2011 and an M.P.A. in 2013. She currently serves as director of policy and programs at the Alabama Food Bank Association. Lawkis also spent more than three years as nutrition programs director at the Bay Area Food Bank. She and her husband, Nick Lawkis ’09, ’11, welcomed their son, Jack, on August 29.
New Alumni Association Directors include:
- Clyde Higgs graduated from South in 1997 with a B.A in psychology. In August, he was named interim CEO of Atlanta BeltLine, Inc. (ABI). Prior to joining ABI, Higgs served as executive vice president of business development and operations for North Carolina Research Campus in Charlotte, N.C. He and his wife, Dr. Vetta B. Higgs, a 1996 USA College of Medicine graduate, reside in Atlanta.
- Patsy Kennedy received her B.S.N. from the University of South Alabama in 1996. She recently retired as manager of staff development at the University of South Alabama. Kennedy and her husband, Ray, live in Spanish Fort, Ala.
- Brian Rhoades graduated from South with a B.S. in mechanical engineering in 1995. He currently serves as vice president, operations, eastern region with Hargrove Engineers + Constructors. He lives in Cumming, Ga.
- Laura Sergeant received her B.A. in special education in 1991 and an M.Ed. in special education in 2005, both from South. She has taught at several Mobile-area schools during her career and currently teaches the PACE program at Griggs Elementary. Sergeant and her husband, Stacy, live in Mobile.
- Dr. Paige Vitulli earned three degrees at South Alabama: a B.S. in early childhood education in 1986, a M.Ed. in early childhood education in 2000 and a Ph.D. in instructional design and development in 2006. The Alabama Art Education Association named Vitulli Higher Education Art Educator of the Year in 2014. She is currently an associate professor at USA’s College of Education and Professional Studies.
- Charlie Warner graduated from South in 1976 with a B.A. in sociology. He spent his career in veterinary pharmaceutical sales, most recently with Eli Lilly Company, until retiring in 2015. He and his wife, Cindy, live in Mobile and enjoy spending time with their grown children and six grandchildren.
About the National Alumni Association
The University of South Alabama National Alumni Association was founded in 1974. The organization’s mission is to support and positively influence the goals of the University through an active relationship with the University, its alumni, students and friends. The vision of the National Alumni Association is to provide comprehensive programs, services and resources to benefit the University, its alumni, students and friends.
Latest University News
Match Day 2019: Signed, Sealed, DeliveredSenior medical students from the College of Medicine open letters reve...
March 17, 2019
Mitchell Offers Challenge; Field NamedSouth announces Abraham A. Mitchell Field at Hancock Whitney Stadium a...
March 15, 2019
USA National Alumni Association Honors FiveFour alumni and a businessman, recognized for achievements and service...
March 14, 2019
She Leads Michigan's Second-Largest CityAt South, Rosalynn Bliss '97 wasn't considering a career in politics. ...
March 13, 2019