Academic Support

Two female students and one male student outside the Chemistry building


Your academic, personal, and professional success are very important to all of us in the College of Arts and Sciences. Whether you are a first-time freshman, an experienced senior, or a graduate student, there are resources available to help you on your path to graduation and to a career.

▼   Advising Help

Academic advising in Arts and Sciences is normally done by a faculty member in your major department. If you are undecided, or a pre-social work major, you will be advised in the Arts and Sciences Advising Center. In addition to their regular advisor, students in some areas such as pre-law, Social Work, and Pre-Health Professions have a second academic advisor to help them prepare for their entry into the workforce or gain admission to professional school after college.

If you are unsure about who your advisor is, or have specific advising needs (such as advising just before graduation)  Arts and Sciences Advising Center Office can help you.

The university also provides online advising portals through Degree Works and PAWS, which can help you answer some advising questions and look at possible what-if scenarios. 

▼   Career Development

The Office of Career Development helps students prepare for their career from their freshman year through to finding a job after graduation. Career Development is not limited simply to finding full-time employment after graduation (although they help with that too), but includes preparation services such as career advising, major selection, and job-search preparation. USA Career Development also the place to look first for internships and co-operative education opportunities while you are at USA.

▼   Counseling and Wellness Center

Counseling and Wellness Center provides individual, group, and relationship counseling, as well as a substance abuse program and crisis intervention in mental health emergencies. 

Counseling and Wellness Center also serves as a regional testing center for a variety of national tests, including the ACT, the GRE (Graduate Record Exam for graduate school) and the LSAT (Law School Admissions Test).

▼   Dean of Students

The Office of the Dean of Students helps students navigate their way to graduation by offering a variety of services, as well as helping solve problems that may arise during a student's academic career. Campus Recreation, Multicultural Student Affairs, Upward Bound, and Special Student Services are among the services offered by the Dean of Student's Office.

▼   Health and Wellness

Healthy living and wellness are a vital part of a student's academic life. The University supports health and wellness through Campus Recreation and the Student Health Center.

Campus Recreation offers a huge variety of opportunities for physical activity and sports, including intramural sports, outdoor adventures, fitness programs, summer camps, and a beautiful Recreation Center.

The USA Student Health Center is one of only two AAAHC-accredited student health facilities in Alabama. The Health Center offers a wide variety of services, including a clinic, testing, immunizations, and women's health services. 

▼   Jag Success

Jag Success (the Office of Student Academic Success) offers a wide range of academic support for all students at the university. This includes Peer Mentoring (Jag PALS and SIs), study skills workshops, homework help, and learning communities. If you are looking for help studying, preparing for courses, or adjusting to academic life at USA, the Jag Success office is a great place to look.

▼   The Lowdown (Student Policies)

The Lowdown is the student handbook for the University of South Alabama. The Lowdown contains detailed information about student services, registration and classes, housing and residential life, and policies governing students. For example, if you are considering a grade grievance, or have a question about parking, or are just wondering what services are available to students, The Lowdown should be your first place to look.

▼   Multicultural Student Affairs

The Office of Multicultural Student Affairs has programs designed to support African-American and other minority students, as well as gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender students at the university. Multicultural Student Affairs offers scholarships, academic and social activities, and Big Brother/Big Sister mentoring programs pairing USA students with young people in the community.

▼   Center for Educational Accessibility & Disability Resources

The Center for Educational Accessibility & Disability Resources offers support for students with physical, emotional, or learning disabilities. Support services include providing accommodation to students with physical disabilities, as well help with learning disabilities, including test anxiety or other test-related issues.

▼   Student Government Association (SGA)

The Student Government Association is the voice of students at USA. SGA officers and members promote the interests and welfare of the students in a variety of ways, including having an input into appropriations, supporting student clubs, and supporting student travel. If you are a USA student, you are a member of SGA, so get involved!

▼   Student Research

The College of Arts and Sciences takes pride in its active undergraduate and graduate student research programs. Research programs, or creative activities in the case of fine arts majors, are available in every major through the Undergraduate Research Program (UCUR).

This program includes the opportunity to engage in a research project with a faculty member in your major program, as well as funding opportunities for undergraduate research.

In addition to UCUR, many major programs in Arts and Sciences have active research labs, active field work, and numerous creative activities opportunities that undergraduates can participate in. Speak with your advisor to find out what might be available in your program.

▼   Study Abroad

Study abroad opportunities are available through specific programs in Arts and Sciences, specifically International Studies and the Department of Modern and Classical Languages, as well as through the University's Office of Study Abroad

The Office of Study Abroad can also help students with making international travel arrangements, and finding funding for study abroad.

Arts and Sciences Students can select from numerous Study Abroad programs.

▼   Study Help

The University offers several resources to help you study and with your academic skills, including homework assistance, study skills workshops, and Student Instructors (SIs) for some courses. You do not have to wait until you are having academic difficulties to take advantage of these resources!

In addition, freshmen in the First Year Experience course (CAS 100) receive additional study skills instruction, and peer-mentoring through a Jag Pal.

▼   Writing Help

Stuck trying to start a big writing assignment? Not feeling confident about your grammar or diction? The Writing Center offers help with any writing task at any stage of development. Writing Center teachers don't work as an editing service. Instead, they do something more valuable -- they teach you the skills you need to be an effective writer throughout your career. Appointments are recommended.