Alternative Master of Education in Elementary Education
Elementary Education Alt. M.Ed.
The Alternative Master of Education (Alt. M.Ed.) in Elementary Education is a 42-hour program that prepares individuals holding a B.S. to teach in kindergarten through 6th grade classrooms. Upon completion of the program, students are eligible for the Class A Professional Elementary Education (K-6) certificate.
Frequently Asked Questions
While some classes are online, this is not an online degree. Face to face courses are offered evenings. Three courses required field experiences that take place during the weekday and a semester long student teaching experience is required
- Bachelor's degree with a minimum grade point average (GPA) overall of 2.75 or a master's
or higher degree with a GPA of at least 3.0. This GPA must be documented on the official
transcript of the regionally accredited, degree granting institution and must be the
GPA that was used as the basis for granting the degree, not a GPA that includes post-degree
Official Transcripts from all university, college, and post-secondary institutions you attended must be mailed to::
University of South Alabama Transcript Processing Center
P.O. Box 9218
Watertown, MA 02471
(Note: Students who attended and/or graduated from the University of South Alabama are not required to submit a USA transcript.)
- Passing score on all three parts of the Core Academic Skills for Educators tests.https://www.ets.org/praxis/al/al_teacher_ed
- Clear Alabama State Department of Education background check.
- Passing score on the appropriate Praxis subject assessment. https://www.ets.org/praxis/al/al_teacher_ed
- Personal statement on applicant's career goals and purpose for graduate study. (Upload document within application.)
Dr. Lauren Brannan
Ph: (251) 380-2796