To realize the mission of enhancing school leadership among teacher leaders resulting in the improvement of academic achievement for all students, prospective teacher leaders will achieve the standards below. It should be assumed that the prospective teacher leader will have opportunities to work collaboratively with school administrators, colleagues, students, parents and families, and the larger community to achieve school-wide goals.
- Program content should be primarily focused on supporting the development and improving the practice of shared leadership.
- All candidates should understand and be able to support leadership that is shared with all stakeholders to increase student learning.
- All candidates must support the concept and the practice of collective learning with faculties and schools.
Educational Specialist with Class AA Certification
The Teacher Leader program is designed to provide candidates with the opportunity to develop as a teacher leader. Successful completion of the program leads to the Ed.S. degree and qualifies the candidate for recommendation for the class “AA” Professional Educator Certificate as a Teacher Leader.
Advanced programs are extensions of basic preparation and differ from basic programs not in general purpose but in competence they seek to develop.
Note: You must have certification in any program at the “A” level in order to be admitted into this program.
Click the links on the left-side menu for more information on earning the credentials to become a Teacher Leader!
- A Master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution with a minimum grade-point
average of 3.0.
Official Transcripts from all university, college, and post-secondary institutions you attended must be mailed to:
University of South Alabama Transcript Processing Center
P.O. Box 9218
Watertown, MA 02471
(Note: Students who attended and/or graduated from the University of South Alabama are not required to submit a USA transcript.)
- A valid master’s level professional educator certificate in any teaching field or area of instructional support.
- A minimum of three full years of full-time teaching experience in a P-12 setting.
Must be documented on Supplemental Experience Form that should be requested from Human
Resources in your past/present employing school system (https://www.alsde.edu/sec/ec/Misc%20Docs/SUPPLEMENT%20exp.pdf ).
University of South Alabama
College of Education and Professional Studies
Attn: Jamie Lett - UCOM 3360
75 S. University Blvd.
Mobile, AL 36688-0002
- Three letters of recommendation which include evidence of ability to positively affect student achievement, and evidence of collaborative leadership potential.
- Two page narrative on applicant’s career goals and purpose for graduate study (uploaded within application).
Rebecca Giles, Ph.D.
Ph: (251) 380-2899