Doctor of Nursing Practice
The Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) is a professional degree and prepares graduates to provide the most advanced level of nursing care for individuals and communities.
This includes the direct care of individual patients, management of care for individuals and populations, administration of health care and nursing systems, and the development and implementation of health policy. The program is designed to be in compliance with the Essentials for Doctor of Nursing Practice programs as put forth by the American Association of Colleges of Nursing.
DNP Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the Doctor of Nursing Practice program, graduates should be able to:
- Assume organizational and system leadership in the analysis, delivery, and management of nursing care.
- Implement the highest level of advanced nursing care to produce high quality, cost-effective outcomes for diverse patient outcomes.
- Use theories, concepts, and analytic methodologies to design, implement, and evaluate practice by applying evidence to transform nursing systems.
- Contribute to the knowledge of best-practices and dissemination of outcomes through professional writing and presentations.
- Develop practice standards based on the integration of ethics and evidence-based nursing care.
Three Pathways to the DNP Degree
The University of South Alabama, College of Nursing provides three Pathways to the Doctor of Nursing Practice Degree:
- Master of Nursing (MSN) to DNP Pathway
- Master of Nursing to DNP Bridge Program for Clinical Nurse Leaders to Executive Nursing Administration Pathway
- BSN to DNP Pathway
Master of Nursing to Doctor of Nursing Practice (MSN to DNP)
The MSN to DNP program includes the MSN to DNP for Advanced Nursing Practice Roles, as well as the MSN to DNP for adding a new certification specialty area.
- MSN to DNP for Advanced Nursing Practice Roles is for students who have completed their MSN degree in an area of advanced practice nursing we offer here at the USA College of Nursing and want to earn their DNP in this same specialty area.
- MSN to DNP for adding a new Specialty Certification Area is for students who have completed their MSN degree in one specialty area but want to add a new specialty certification area along with their DNP in this same specialty area.
Master of Nursing to Doctor of Nursing Practice Bridge Program for Clinical Nurse Leaders to Executive Nursing Administration Pathway (MSN/CNL to DNP/ENA)
MSN to DNP Bridge Program for Clinical Nurse Leaders to Executive Nursing Administration Pathway is for students who completed their MSN in the area of CNL and want to complete their DNP in the specialty area of Executive Nursing Administration.
Bachelor of Science in Nursing to Doctor of Nursing Practice Pathway (BSN to DNP)
The BSN to DNP Pathway is for students who have completed their Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree and desire to complete their MSN and DNP degrees.