Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
The Online Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program at USA prepares nurse practitioners and graduates with additional roles in the profession to provide advanced nursing care for individuals and communities, to address the major issues of healthcare, to research theoretical issues and transform research into quality care, to fill leadership roles and teach future nurses and nurse practitioners.
DNP students are seeking to demonstrate expertise in their specialty area. The University of South Alabama College of Nursing offers specialty certification programs in 15 different areas, more than most other nursing programs.
Every DNP student completes a major project that translates evidence into practice. Projects can be designed to achieve an evidence-based, quality improvement systems change in a clinical setting. Students work with a faculty advisor from South and a preceptor or mentor at their clinical site. All projects must seek to improve patient outcomes and all are designed to improve healthcare at a local, regional, national or global level.
All graduate programs in the USA College of Nursing are offered online so students can maintain their career while pursuing their degree. Though remote from the campus, students have easy contact with professors via email, phone or using other forms of technology.
Students who enter the DNP program with a BSN degree may earn a MSN degree during the DNP studies.
DNP Program Online Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the Doctor of Nursing Practice program, graduates should be able to:
- Assume organizational and system leadership in the analysis, delivery, and management of nursing care.
- Implement the highest level of advanced nursing care to produce high quality, cost-effective outcomes for diverse patient populations.
- Use theories, concepts, and analytic methodologies to design, implement, and evaluate practice by applying evidence to transform nursing systems.
- Contribute to the knowledge of best-practices and dissemination of outcomes through professional writing and presentations.
- Develop practice standards based on the integration of ethics and evidence-based nursing care.
- Build interdisciplinary professional collaboration through leadership and mentorship.
- The DNP program is an online program. Coursework is completed online and clinical hours can be completed in your region with an approved Preceptor.
- Nurse practitioner track students are required to report to the CON for about 3-5 days for orientation. Additional onsite visits may be required and are listed on the specialty track’s web page. Please refer to the Available Tracks within the DNP program below.
- GRE and/or MAT– not required
- Letters of reference – not required
- All DNP students pay the same tuition rate: Web Course Tuition for Graduate Students
- All requirements for the DNP degree must be completed within seven calendar years from admission
- Additional requirements for admission are located in the University of South Alabama Undergraduate/Graduate Bulletin.
- Students are responsible for costs related to the required admission background check and drug screen. Students are responsible for all travel costs for any required on-campus visit and for travel costs to clinical sites.
- Students are responsible for all costs related to monitoring/proctoring tests and identity authentication when required by a course.
Three Pathways to the DNP Degree
The University of South Alabama, College of Nursing provides three Pathways to the Doctor of Nursing Practitioner Degree:
- Master of Nursing (MSN) to DNP Pathway
- Master of Nursing to DNP Bridge Program for Clinical Nurse Leaders to Executive Nursing Administration Pathway
- BSN to DNP Pathway
Master of Nursing to Doctor of Nursing Practice (MSN to DNP)
The MSN to DNP program includes the MSN to DNP for Advanced Nursing Practice Roles, as well as the MSN to DNP for adding a new certification specialty area.
- MSN to DNP for Advanced Nursing Practice Roles is for students who have completed their MSN degree in an area of advanced practice nursing we offer here at the USA College of Nursing and want to earn their DNP in this same specialty area.
- MSN to DNP for adding a new Specialty Certification Area is for students who have completed their MSN degree in one specialty area but want to add a new specialty certification area along with their DNP in this same specialty area.
Master of Nursing to Doctor of Nursing Practice Bridge Program for Clinical Nurse Leaders to Executive Nursing Administration Pathway (MSN/CNL to DNP/ENA)
MSN to DNP Bridge Program for Clinical Nurse Leaders to Executive Nursing Administration Pathway is for students who completed their MSN in the area of CNL and want to complete their DNP in the specialty area of Executive Nursing Administration.
Bachelor of Science in Nursing to Doctor of Nursing Practice Pathway (BSN to DNP)
The BSN to DNP Pathway is for students who have completed their Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree from a regionally accredited institution, and desire to complete their MSN and DNP degrees.
For all inquiries related to the admissions process: email@example.com
For all current and continuing students: firstname.lastname@example.org