Alternative Master of Education in Early Childhood Education
Early Childhood Alt. M.Ed.
The Alternative Master of Education (Alt. M.Ed.) in Early Childhood Education is a 42-hour program that prepares individuals holding a B.S. to teach in prekindergarten through 3rd grade classrooms. Upon completion of the program and accompanying tests, students are eligible for the Class A Professional Early Childhood Education (P-3) certificate.
Frequently Asked Questions
- When does the Alt. Masters of Education program begin?
Students are admitted into the program every semester (Spring, Summer, and Fall).
- How long does the program take to complete?
The program is 42 credit hours (14 courses. Courses are readily available every semester allowing students to take a full load (9 hrs) without difficulty. The amount of time to complete the program depends upon how many courses are taken each semester. Students taking a full load (9 hours a semester) can expect to finish in 5-6 semesters while those who are working or have other responsibilities along with school may take a bit longer.
- Will I be able to keep working while taking classes?
All of the courses (except practicum and student teaching) are offered either online or in the evenings. As a result, most students are able to maintain full-time employment until their final semester of student teaching.
Course of Study
- Bachelor's degree with a minimum grade point average (GPA) overall of 2.75 or a master's
or higher degree with a GPA of at least 3.0. This GPA must be documented on the official
transcript of the regionally accredited, degree granting institution and must be the
GPA that was used as the basis for granting the degree, not a GPA that includes post-degree
Official Transcripts from all university, college, and post-secondary institutions you attended must be mailed to:
University of South Alabama Transcript Processing Center
P.O. Box 9218
Watertown, MA 02471
(Note: Students who attended and/or graduated from the University of South Alabama are not required to submit a USA transcript.)
- Passing score on all three parts of the Core Academic Skills for Educators tests. https://www.ets.org/praxis/al/al_teacher_ed
- Clear Alabama State Department of Education background check.
- Passing score on the appropriate Praxis subject assessment: https://www.ets.org/praxis/al/al_teacher_ed
- Personal statement on applicant's career goals and purpose for graduate study (upload document within application).
Dr. Rebecca Giles
Ph: (251) 380-2899