Graduate Physical Education P-12 Teacher Certification Program
The Physical Education (P-12) Program is a teacher certification program designed to prepare the student to teach Physical Education in the school. Satisfactory completion of program requirements leads to a Master of Education Degree with eligibility for a Class A Teaching Certificate awarded by the Alabama State Department of Education. The program is 30 credit hours.
Program of Study
The program is approved by the Alabama State Department of Education (ALSDE) and the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). The program includes a variety of courses intended to improve the knowledge and skills of physical education teachers. The program of study also provides course work and experiences that introduce and advance student participation in basic research related to the field of physical education.
Who Should Apply
If you already possess a Class B teaching certificate or the equivalent in physical education and want to further your education, then consider pursuing the Physical Education (P-12) Master of Education degree at the University of South Alabama.
1. A bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education documented on an official transcript from degree granting institution.
Official Transcripts from all university, college, and post-secondary institutions
you attended must be mailed to:
University of South Alabama Transcript Processing Center
P.O. Box 9218
Watertown, MA 02471
(Note: Students who attended and/or graduated from the University of South Alabama are not required to submit a USA transcript.)
2. A valid bachelor’s-level (Class B) Professional Educator Certificate in the same teaching field in which the Class A Professional Educator Certificate is sought.
3. GPA Requirement:
- Regular Admission–requires a minimal grade-point-average of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale based on GPA calculated from degree granting institution.
- Provisional Admission–requires a minimal grade-point-average of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale based on GPA calculated from degree granting institution; or 2.75 GPA based on the last 60 semester hours of undergraduate coursework; or a Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Test score or Miller Analogies Test (MAT) score at/or above the 50th percentile.
4. Personal statement on applicant's career goals and purpose for graduate study. (Upload document within application in WebAdmit.)
5. Sufficient coursework in the major subject to qualify for graduate study in the involved discipline. Students with a deficiency in relevant coursework may be required to successfully complete additional prerequisite courses.
Physical Education Facilities
The Health, Kinesiology, and Sport Classrooms and Computer Lab are equipped with Smart Board® technology, projectors, and PCs with internet access. Other facilities include a weight-room, two gymnasiums, dance and martial arts studios, and instructional and research laboratories.
Dr. Shelley Holden
Requirements & Progression
Our Alumni Testimonials
“I was undecided about going back to school to pursue my Master’s Degree. However, I received a graduate assistant position in the Health, Kinesiology, and Sport Department and I knew that was a sign that I needed to go ahead and pursue my Masters of Education Degree in Physical Education. The professors at the University of South Alabama work with your schedule and also prepare you for the real world of teaching. I definitely grew as a student and future educator because of the course of study and educational experiences I obtained. I would recommend this program to any physical educator wanting to advance their education”.
Scarborough Model Middle School
Mobile County Public School System