Master of Science in Sport Management
Start Something Today You’ll Be Proud of Tomorrow
Enhance Your Career in Sport Event and Organizational Management
The Online Master of Science in Sport Management Degree focuses on elements of the sports industry with a specific emphasis on sport event and organizational management. Individuals wishing to carve out a distinct personal path in the sport industry will benefit from this 30 hour online academic program.
Why Sport Management at the University of South Alabama
With a diverse range of sport occupations now available, the M.S. Sport Management Program at USA provides the capabilities and confidence to lead community and youth sport programs, high school or intercollegiate athletic departments, professional and international sports teams, governing body divisions, state and city sport commissions, or sport venue operations. The Sport Management curriculum applies concepts in real-life situations at multiple levels of sport participation and spectator based events with an opportunity to excel because of a distance education that is accessible online.
Program of Study
Students in the program utilize distance technology via USA’s online learning management system to identify current issues in the sport industry and develop strategies to problem solve social, cultural, political, economic, marketing and environmental issues as they relate to sport event and organizational management. Essential skills in sport management, interpretation of research literature, critical inquiry and problem-solving are vital aspects of the program. This program is offered with non-thesis or thesis options.
Who Should Apply
Whether you are involved in athletic administration, coaching, sport programming or facility administration this is an ideal program if you are looking for career development opportunities to enhance critical thinking, technical and specialized skills in sport event and organizational management.
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education documented
on an official transcript from degree granting institution.
Official Transcripts from all university, college, and post-secondary institutions you attended must be mailed to:
University of South Alabama Transcript Processing Center
P.O. Box 9218
Watertown, MA 02471
(Note: Students who attended and/or graduated from the University of South Alabama are not required to submit a USA transcript.)
- GPA Requirement:
Regular Admission–requires a minimal grade-point-average of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale based on GPA calculated from degree granting institution.
Provisional Admission–requires a minimal grade-point-average of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale based on GPA calculated from degree granting institution; or 2.75 GPA based on the last 60 semester hours of undergraduate coursework; or a Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Test score or Miller Analogies Test (MAT) score at/or above the 50th percentile.
- Personal statement on applicant's career goals and purpose for graduate study. (Upload document within application in WebAdmit.)
- Sufficient coursework in the major subject to qualify for graduate study in the involved discipline. Students with a deficiency in relevant coursework may be required to successfully complete additional prerequisite courses.
Career Opportunities for Sport Management Graduates
Because sport managers are in high demand in a variety of settings, as a graduate of the Master of Science in Sport Management Degree program you become more marketable for a variety of positions including:
- Minor/Major Professional Leagues
- Collegiate and Scholastic Athletics
- Community or Recreational Sport Programs
- National and International Sport Associations
- Sport Agencies, Commissions, and Tourism Bureaus
- Outdoor and Adventure Sport Contests
- Traditional, Niche and Extreme Sport Event Management
- Sport Participation and Spectator Based Event Companies
- Health and Fitness Competitions
- Marketing and Promotions at various Sport Industry Levels
- Sport Sales (ticketing, sponsorship, media, and concessions)