Handshake for USA Departments
Handshake is the student job management platform used by our team in Career Services. In Handshake, your department can connect with talented University of South Alabama students and alumni as well as employers. The platform offers your department the ability to:
- Post and manage vacant on-campus positions
- Manage interview schedules and register for career fairs
- Engage with USA students and alumni
We strongly encourage campus departments to post student employment opportunities in Handshake. For positions related to the Federal Work Study program, please contact the Office of Financial Aid.
Getting Started with Handshake
To register for Handshake as an employer, follow the steps below.
IMPORTANT: Preface your campus department with 'University of South Alabama' including the applicable office (or division) name, e.g., 'University of South Alabama Southbound New Student Orientation'.
- Access https://southalabama.joinhandshake.com/login. If you are a returning user, sign in with your email address. New users will need to create a user profile by selecting 'Sign up for an Account'.
- Select 'Employer' account and complete your user profile information. Once completed, you will receive a verification email.
- After verifying your profile information, you will see a list of existing University of South Alabama departments. If you do not see your department, you will need to create a company profile by selecting 'New Company'. Enter 'company information' as related to your department. (e.g. size of company = the # of staff in your department)
- Once you have created your company profile, request to connect with the 'University of South Alabama'.
- Your account will be pending for review and will be approved within 2-3 business days. Once approved, you will be able to log in to Handshake and post your on-campus student employment positions and department-related events.
- Select the 'Jobs' tab on the left side of the navigation bar. This will bring up the Job Postings page.
- Select 'New Job' in the upper right-hand corner.
- Once you’ve arrived on the job form, complete the required fields and select 'Create Job' at the end of the form. To ensure the position shows up in a variety of searches, complete as many of the fields as possible.
- You will be asked to complete the Job Qualifications to match up with qualified students. Once you’re finished, select 'Update Qualifications.' This will bring you to the job summary page, where you can see all of the information you just entered.
- The new job has now been submitted for approval and will be approved within 2-3 business days.
Looking to get involved? Our students want to meet you! Click here to learn about career fair opportunities.