Accidents While on the Worksite

The University of South Alabama strives to protect its employees from undue financial hardship resulting from qualified job-related injuries or disabilities.

Frequently Ask Questions

▼   Where to seek medical care after an On the Job Injury (OJI)?

If you sustain a serious injury at the worksite during work hours, arrangements will be made for you to be treated at the University Hospital Emergency Room. If time is of the essence, based on the severity of the injury, the employee may be taken to the nearest emergency department. If you sustain an injury that is not serious enough to warrant emergency room treatment, and you wish to be considered for OJI benefits by the University, you must report to the hospital health nurse, the house supervisor (after normal business hours), or the University Physicians Group, for treatment.

▼   What type documentation is required?
An Accident/Incident Report must be completed by your supervisor within 72 hours of the worksite accident in order to be considered for OJI benefits. For this reason, a worksite accident should be reported immediately to your supervisor.
▼   How are employees paid while out due to an OJI?
As a full-time employee, you may receive up to 24 hours paid administrative leave for accidents occurring at the worksite during work hours without affecting your sick leave, vacation or PTO accrual. Part-time employees will be paid administrative leave days at the regular rate of pay for the percentage of eight hours that they normally work. Thereafter, employees are required to use their accrued sick, vacation or Paid Time Off (PTO) to remain in a paid status. These hours, as they relate to the OJI, will be reinstated. Medical Documentation is required to reinstate sick, vacation or PTO hours. A Temporary Wage Replacement plan is also available to employees with no sick, vacation or PTO balance. All benefits paid by the University (reinstatement of vacation, sick leave, PTO or temporary wage replacement payments at 66 2/3% of base salary) will cease no later than 90 days following the date of injury.
▼   How are medical and other applicable expenses paid?
If you are covered under the University’s group health insurance program, your medical expenses due to a qualified OJI will be covered up to the limits of the health plan. If you are not covered under the University’s group plan, please contact your supervisor or Human Resources. In this case, you will be billed for any medical services rendered. Medical expenses not covered by group health insurance may be reimbursed by the University, up to a maximum of $1,000. All claims for lost wages, property damages, and/or medical expenses not paid by the University, medical insurance, or the University’s group health insurance program may be filed by you with the State Board of Adjustment. Approval by the State Board of Adjustment is based upon an investigation of the accident by University officials and a determination by the State Board that the accident qualifies for OJI compensation. Claim forms are available in Human Resources.
▼   How to file a claim with the State Board of Adjustments?

State Board of Adjustments Claim forms are available in Human Resources. Claims must be filed with the State Board of Adjustment within one year of the incident date. If you believe expenses related to the incident might be incurred beyond one year from the incident date, and you have not already filed a State Board of Adjustment claim, you should file a claim with the State Board of Adjustment indicating the expenses are “to be determined.” It is not the responsibility of the University to remind you of the one year time limit for filing a claim with the State Board of Adjustment.


▼   How does Long Term Disability Insurance work?
If your attending physician anticipates a disability of more than 90 calendar days, the waiting period for long-term disability (LTD) benefits, you must make application for LTD benefits based upon such prognosis. The University will require relevant medical records of injured or disabled parties and may require additional examinations and tests as deemed necessary.