Use this page for all information and forms for applying for the Master's of Science in Nursing.
The primary method of communication by the University of South Alabama (USA) College of Nursing (CON) throughout the application cycle is email. It allows us to easily make contact with you throughout the day and you are able to contact us at a time that is convenient for you. Please ensure that the email address you put on your application is an email address you check several times weekly and that you add email@example.com to the address book of your email account. This will ensure that email from us will not be sent to your SPAM/JUNK folder.
Graduates from the University of South Alabama Accelerated BSN program at the Baldwin County Campus and graduates from the University of South Alabama RN to BSN/MSN online programs, please email the graduate academic advisor to discuss the appropriate semester for applying and application procedures.
State Board of Nursing Authorizations
Each State Board of Nursing has requirements for online programs. Due to these requirements, we are not accepting applications from South Dakota and New York at this time.
Admission Requirements for the MSN Programs
To be considered for admission to the MSN programs, the applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Citizen or Permanent Resident of the United States of America.
- Current registered nurse licensure with no restrictions. Nurses with any restrictions on their license, including participation in a voluntary disciplinary alternative program, cannot be admitted.
- Completion of Primary and Supplemental Applications.
- Two years of nursing experience in an area appropriate to designated specialty track prior to enrolling in nurse practitioner clinical courses.
- Applicant must be in good standing with all academic institutions/nursing programs that they have attended in order to be admitted to any MSN program.
- Previous degree must be from a regionally accredited institution.
- All transcripts from USA and Canada must be sent directly from the institution to NursingCAS.
- All other foreign transcripts must be evaluated by Educational Credential Evaluators. The transcript evaluation should be sent directly to the College of Nursing at the University of South Alabama in lieu of foreign transcripts.
Applicants should refer to the specific program for which they are applying for additional admission requirements. Admission for non-degree students in selective courses may not be available due to class size or required prerequisite.
- RN to MSN for RN’s with Non-Nursing Bachelor Degree is available to registered nurses who have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in a discipline other than nursing.
- BSN to MSN is available to Registered Nurses who hold a bachelor of science in nursing degree from an accredited institution.
- Post-Graduate Certificate is available for Registered Nurses with a graduate degree in nursing who seek academic preparation in a new specialty or subspecialty area of advanced practice nursing.
Decision Letters will be sent to all applicants at least eight (8) weeks following the application deadline.
Mandatory onsite orientations for NP tracks – Fall term onsite orientations are required when students begin clinical specialty courses. Students will be notified, in advance, of the scheduled dates. Please refer to the specific track’s web page for details on orientations.
If you have questions about the application process, please contact the college of nursing at firstname.lastname@example.org or (251) 445-9400.
Please go to MSN Application Page for additional information on how to apply to our MSN program.
International Students must reside in the United States and have a current U.S. registered nurse licensure with no restrictions. Nurses with any restrictions on their license, including participation in a voluntary disciplinary alternative program, cannot be admitted. Students are required to complete clinicals in the U.S.
Any applicant who has attended a college or university outside of the United States or Canada, must have their official foreign transcripts translated and evaluated by Educational Credential Evaluators. The course-by-course transcript evaluation should be sent directly to the College of Nursing in lieu of foreign transcripts. Please have them mailed to 5721 USA North Drive-HAHN 3068, Mobile, AL 36688-0002.
International students should contact the Office of International Services by email at InternationalServices@southalabama.edu or by telephone at (251) 460-6050. Deadlines for applications and supporting documents for new international students are usually one month earlier than the deadlines for U. S. citizens. International students are required to complete the internet based TOEFL (minimum acceptable score of 25 on each subsection), or a bachelor’s or graduate degree earned at an accredited United States Institution of higher learning and are required to demonstrate proficiency on the English Language Proficiency Examination administered by the University.
Students accepted into the graduate nursing programs in the College of Nursing are required to complete all requirements under Medical Documents Manager as listed on the Health Requirements Webpage at http://www.southalabama. edu/colleges/con/clinical/healthrequirements.html prior to registering for their first semester. Students are not required to order a Castle Branch account until they have been accepted into the graduate program.
For all inquiries related to the admissions process: email@example.com
For all current and continuing students: firstname.lastname@example.org