Dr. Edmund Spencer
Associate Professor Electrical Engineering
- Ph.D. Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Texas at Austin
- M.S. Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Texas at Austin
- B.S. Electrical and Electronics Engineering, University of Leicester, UK
- Space plasma physics and space weather.
- Design and development of next generation instruments for space science and space plasma characterization.
- Development of theoretical and analytical frameworks to analyze and interpret the measured data from instruments immersed in or proximate to a plasma.
- Interaction of the solar wind with the earth's magnetosphere.
- Nonlinear dynamics of growth, onset, expansion and recovery phases of geomagnetic substorms.
- Nonlinear dynamics of the initial, main and recovery phases of geomagnetic storms.
- Development of Full Electromagnetic 3D Particle in Cell codes for the analysis of RF instrument behavior in space plasmas.
- Analyzing and synthesizing models to explain satellite and ground based measurements of solar wind-magnetosphere-ionosphere activity.
- Genetic Algorithms, Particle Swarm Optimization, Differential
- Evolution and other stochastic optimization algorithms and applications.
- E. Spencer, S. Patra, Ionosphere Plasma Electron Parameters From Radio Frequency Sweeping Impedance Probe Measurements, Radio Science, 10.1002/2015RS005697, August 2015.
- S. Patra, E. Spencer, The effect of changing solar wind conditions on the inner magnetosphere and ring current: A model data comparison, JGR Space Physics, 10.1002/2015JA021299, August 2015.
- T. Andriyas, E. Spencer, Collisionless Resistivity in a Bifurcated Current Sheet, JGR Space Physics, doi: 10.1002/2013JA019242, June 2014.
- E. Spencer, S. Russ, R. Gollapalli, B. Kerrigan, J. Mullins, K. Leggett, D. Clark, J. Mizell, D. Vassiliadis, G. Lusk, Measurements And Particle In Cell vs. Fluid Simulations Of A New Time Domain Impedance Probe For Ionospheric Plasma Characterization, Poster, AGU Fall Meeting 2015.
- D. Vassiliadis, J. Christian, A. Keesee, E. Spencer, J. Gross, G. Lusk, Bringing Space Science to the Undergraduate Classroom: NASA's USIP Mission,Poster, AGU Fall Meeting 2015.
- E. Spencer, Development of a Time Domain Radio Frequency Plasma Impedance Probe For Measurement of Absolute Electron Density and Electron Neutral Collision Frequency, Poster, AGU Fall Meeting 2014.
For a complete list of publications, please see CV.
- EE 354 Electromagnetics I
- EE 355 Electromagnetics II
- EE 575 Stochastic Processes