- Nursing college student wellness and obesity prevention
- Reducing health disparities in minority children and their families
- Family-based obesity prevention and health promotion in community settings
- Child obesity prevention with a focus on the home food environment and family meals
- Healthy eating interventions
- PhD, University of Illinois at Chicago (Nursing), 1995
- MS, Rush University (Nursing), 1983
- BA, Bethany University (Psychology), 1980
- ADN, Triton College (Nursing), 1977
- Certificate, University of Alabama (UAB), NIH-NIMHD Health Disparity Research Scholar Program, 2016
Fruh, S. M., Mulekar, M. S., Crook, E., Hall, H. R., Adams, J. R., & Lemley, T., (2018). Meal-planning practices with individuals in health disparity zip codes. The Journal of Christian Nursing, 35(3), 191-197. PubMed PMID: 29863515; PubMed Center PMCID: PMC6126669
Elkins, J. C., Gunn, J., Jones, L., Taylor, T., Bydalek, K., & Fruh, S. (2018). Identifying Risk factors of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease in the South Asian population. Journal of Clinical Lipidology. 12(2). 543-544. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacl.2018.03.041
Fruh, S. M. (2017) Obesity: Risk factors, complications, and strategies for sustainable long-term weight management. Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, 29(supp1), S3-S14. https://doi.org/ 10.1002/2327-6924.12510
- Hall, H., Fruh, S. M., Zlomke, K. R., and Swingle, H. (2017). A qualitative analysis of the experience of minority parents of children with autism spectrum disorder. Advances in Neurodevelopmental Disabilities. Retrieved from https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s41252-017-0015-7
- Fruh, S. M., Nadglowski, J., Hall, H. R., Davis, S. L., Crook, E. D., and Zlomke, K. (2016). Obesity stigma and bias. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 12(7), 425-432. PubMed PMID: 28408862;PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5386399
- Abesamis, C. J., Fruh, S. M., Hall, H. R., Lemley, T., and Zlomke, K. R. (2015). Cardiovascular health of Filipinos in the United States: A review of the literature. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, 27(5), 518-528. PubMed PMID: 26243715
- Fruh, S. M., and Fulkerson, J. A. (2014). Calorie awareness related to weight control. Continuing Education in Nursing, 45(1), 10-11. PubMed PMID: 24422484
- Fruh, S. M., and Greenblum, M. D. (2014). Nutrition update: Dietary protein. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 10(4), 249-254.
- Tyler, J. M., Fruh, S. M., and Mulekar, M. S. (2014). Pediatric obesity screening and prevention strategies. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, 45(5), 199-200. PubMed PMID: 24801582
- Lopez-Campbell, T., and Fruh, S. M. (2014). A quality improvement project: The development and implementation of a culturally specific chronic kidney disease education program in the Hispanic Population. Nephrology Nursing, 41(2), 204.
- Fruh, S. M., Mulekar, M. S., Hall, H. R., Adams, B. S., Lemley, J. R., Evans, B., and Dierking, J. (2013). Meal planning practices with individuals in health disparity zip codes. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 9(6), 344-349. PubMed PMID: 23888126; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3718071
- Fruh, S. M., Mulekar, M. S., Hall, H. R., Fulkerson, J. A., Hanks, R. S., Lemley,
T., Evans, B., and Dierking, J. (2013). Perspectives of community health advocates:
Barriers to healthy family eating patterns, The Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 9(7),
416-421. PubMed PMID: 24163643; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3805664
Fruh, S. M., Mulekar, M. S., and Dierking, J. (2013). Guiding patients to safe weight loss. The Nurse Practitioner, 38(10), 1-7. PubMed PMID: 24042357
- Fruh, S. M., Fulkerson, J., Mulekar, M., Kendrick, L., and Clanton, C. (2011). CEU Article: The surprising benefits of family meals. The Journal of Nurse Practitioners, 7(1), 18-22.
- Fruh, S. M., Mulekar, M., Hall, H. R., Fulkerson, J., King, A., Jezek, K., and Roussel, L. (2012). Benefits of family meals with adolescents: Nurse Practitioners' Perspective. The Journal of Nurse Practitioners, 8(4), 280-287.
- Fruh, S. M., Mulekar, M. S., Hall, H. R., and Fulkerson, J. A. (2013). Perspectives
observations of graduate nursing students related to family meals. The Journal for Nurse
Practitioners, 9(1), 17-27.
- College of Nursing Dean’s Grant, University of South Alabama
The goal of this project was to identify the knowledge and practice habits of primary care providers and graduate nursing students related to frequent healthy family meals.
- Center for Healthy Communities: NIH P20 Pilot Project
P20MD002314 (Errol Crook PI) 09/07-06/12
06/11-06/12-Family Meal Barriers and Strategies that Promote Healthy Frequent Family Meals in African American Families. The goal of this project was threefold: 1) assess barriers to family meals; 2) identify family meal habits and home offerings of food; and 3) evaluate the effect of an intervention program. The population was focused on minorities who reside in health disparity zip codes. Role: Pilot Project - PI
- College of Nursing Dean’s Grant (Heather R. Hall PI).
University of South Alabama
Communication and Adaptation in Minority Families of Children with Autism
The goal of this project was to assess the communication and adaptation processes in minority families of children with autism.
- University of South Alabama, University Research Council
Development and testing of an interactive computer education program for Poarch Creek Indians who are diabetic.
- National Center for Nursing Research-Department of Health and Human Services (NIH)
The effect of Exercise in Diabetic (Type 2) Native Americans. Pre-Doctoral Funding.
- Dr. Fruh coordinates the Nursing Honors Program.
- Dr. Fruh mentors doctoral students with publications, scholarship, and grant writing.
- Faculty Scholarship Award, University of South Alabama, College of Nursing, 2011
- Sigma Theta Tau, Zeta Gamma Chapter, Research Award, Mobile, AL, 2010
- Awarded Young Alumnus of the Year at Bethany University, 2001
- Golden Key National Honor Society, University of South Alabama Chapter, 1997
- Awarded the College of Nursing Dean’s Award for a Doctoral Student for Superior Academic and Research Achievement in the Graduate Nursing Program, University of Illinois at Chicago, 1995
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Fifth Annual Secretary’s Award for Innovation in Health Promotion and Disease Prevention: Nutrition and exercise program for urban Native Americans, 1987
- Awarded the College of Nursing Dean’s Award to a Graduate Student for Superior-Academic Leadership in the Graduate Nursing Program, Rush University, 1983