External Scholarship FAQs

1. Do I need to report my scholarships from private donors?

Yes, all external scholarships should be reported to the Office of Scholarship Services including those that are paid to you directly. If you do not report your outside scholarship awards, you might receive what is called an "overaward". External scholarships are considered resources, meaning that they may affect your financial aid package. An external scholarship is most likely to affect campus-based aid, such as the FSEOG Grant, Perkins Loan, Federal Work-Study, and the Federal Stafford Loan.

For more information on how external scholarships and aid may affect your financial aid package please visit the Office of Financial Aid's website.


2. How will I know my check has arrived?

Once the check is processed you will be able to review the external scholarship in your PAWS account.


3. My donor said the check was sent but I haven't received funds. What do I do now?

First, contact the Office of Scholarship Services. If you have filled out the External Scholarship/Resource Form we will be monitoring this award and its arrival. Please note, depending on the information provided from the outside agency and what time of the year the check is sent, once received processing times can vary. 


4. My donor said they sent a check to USA. Do I need to come in and sign it?

If an external scholarship check is made payable to the student only then the student must endorse the check before it can be processed. If the check is made payable to USA then the student is not required to endorse the check. If there is something that needs to be signed, our Scholarship Coordinator will contact you directly.


5. I have a form my external donor would like to be filled out by the University. What do I do?

Depending on the type of data your donor requires, the form may need to be completed in a variety of ways. Contact the Office of Scholarship Services and we can help you complete this process.

Please Note: Some forms may require a FERPA release, signed by the student, or online verification processing.


6. My external scholarship donor requires an official transcript or verification of enrollment. How do I obtain this information?

To conveniently serve students and external donors who require enrollment information, USA is a participant in the National Student Loan Clearinghouse. The Clearinghouse is a repository for enrollment status information and was established to simplify, standardize and automate the status verification and deferment process. For step-by-step instructions on how to use this service, please visit the Office of the Registrar's Degree & Enrollment Verification webpage.