Dual Enrollment Program: Start South
College level courses and a pathway to USA
Start South is an opportunity for USA to strengthen relationships with school districts, specific schools, and high school students in southwest Alabama and throughout the region in order to develop a pipeline of future college students. Start South provides high school students the opportunity to enroll in courses that earn both high school and college credit, while experiencing some of South’s best faculty. Most instruction will be delivered in an online learning environment with some structured on-campus experiences.
- Automatic Enrollment
- Alabama residents participating in Start South can qualify for automatic admission
to USA if they:
» Successfully complete 9 or more credit hours of USA coursework listed by August 15 of your senior year.
» Earn a minimum cumulative 3.0 USA GPA
- Alabama residents participating in Start South can qualify for automatic admission to USA if they:
- Priority housing for entering freshmen
- When a student earns 9 or more credits with a minimum 3.0 GPA by December of the senior year of high school.
- Reduced Cost to Degree
- Reduced Time to Degree
- Satisfy Prerequisites for Majors in:
- Allied Health
- Arts & Sciences
- High school sophomore, junior, or senior
- 3.0 or higher GPA (on a 4.0 scale)
- Written approval of the high school principal
- $35 fee (Fall 2020 application is closed)
- Click here to submit your HS transcript and written approval to USA Admissions.
- A $100 enrollment deposit is due upon acceptance. The deposit will be applied to your tuition for the upcoming semester and is non-refundable. This fee is waived for Fall 2020.
- College and high school credit for approved courses (designated Dual Enrollment).
- Other courses earn college credit (designated Early College).
- Start South students can take a max of 30 credit hours.
- Cost of Start South courses is $167 per credit hour ($500 per 3 credit course).
- Access to USA Library (in person and online)
- Access to USA Center for Academic Excellence tutoring services (in person and online)
- Dedicated USA Start South Success Coordinator
- Access to discounted tickets for USA Athletics events
- Access to summer research experiences
- Fall 2020: Closed
- Spring 2021: TBA
- Summer 2021: TBA