Dual Enrollment Program: Start South
College level courses and a pathway to USA
Start South is USA’s dual enrollment program which works with area school systems to provide a college-level experience while in high school. Start South enables growth in college-ready skills as well as content knowledge, preparing our students to seamlessly enter collegiate life upon graduation from high school. Start South provides high school students the opportunity to enroll in courses that earn both high school and college credit while experiencing some of South’s best faculty.
|Start South Flyer|
- Automatic Enrollment
- Alabama residents participating in Start South can qualify for automatic admission
to USA if they:
» Successfully complete 9 or more credit hours of USA coursework listed by August 15 of your senior year.
» Earn a minimum cumulative 3.0 USA GPA
- Alabama residents participating in Start South can qualify for automatic admission to USA if they:
- Priority housing for entering freshmen
- When a student earns 9 or more credits with a minimum 3.0 GPA by December of the senior year of high school.
- Reduced Cost to Degree
- Reduced Time to Degree
- Satisfy Prerequisites for Majors in:
- Allied Health
- Arts & Sciences
- High school sophomore, junior, or senior
- 3.0 or higher GPA (on a 4.0 scale)
- Written approval of the high school principal
- College and high school credit for approved courses (designated Dual Enrollment).
- Other courses earn college credit (designated Early College).
- Start South students can take a max of 30 credit hours.
- Cost of Start South courses is $167 per credit hour ($500 per 3 credit course).
Alice Abernathy is the Start South dual enrollment coordinator. Mrs. Abernathy earned a BS in Secondary Education with concentrations in French and English at the University of Alabama in 1993, an MA in English at Jacksonville State University in 2006, and an MS in Instructional Leadership from JSU in 2017. Mrs. Abernathy has been actively involved with NACEP, the National Alliance for Concurrent Enrollment Partnerships since 2014 and was a member of their first leadership academy in 2018. Mrs. Abernathy served as an adjunct for the English department at JSU, and she was also a K-12 classroom teacher for 19 years in both private and public schools in Alabama and Georgia before moving into higher education.
- Access to USA Library (in person and online)
- Access to USA Center for Academic Excellence tutoring services (in person and online)
- Access to Student Disability Services (in person and online)
- Dedicated USA Start South Success Coordinator
- Access to discounted tickets for USA Athletics events
- Access to summer research experiences
- Spring 2021: January 8, 2021
- Summer 2021: April 1, 2021
- Fall 2021: July 31, 2021