2019 SURF Request for Proposals
The Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) program is accepting proposals! This program supports outstanding students from all academic majors participating in scholarly research projects or creative activities under the direction of faculty mentors. Fellows are offered opportunities to:
- Acquire scholarly expertise through hands-on experience
- Develop skills in scholarly communication
- Enjoy participation in a community of scholars
- Contribute to the discovery of new knowledge or development of new perspectives
Check back soon for a schedule of SURF proposal workshops.
Application open in JagSPOT January 22
Application deadline March 1
Award notifications April 12
Program starts May 13
Program ends July 19
Who is eligible?
- Any academic major at South Alabama
- Must be enrolled in Fall 2019
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 (some flexibility)
What is the award?
Stipends of $2000 are disbursed over the summer as fellows submit benchmark requirements.
What are the expectations for SURF participation?
- Attend an information session in late April
- Participate in SURF workshops on Tuesday during summer
- Work on your project at least 20 hours per week through the 10-week program
- Submit required program benchmark documents on time
- Present in the Undergraduate Research Symposium on November 1
If you have questions about finding a mentor, eligibility, expectations, or writing the proposal, contact Dr. Wheeler at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline is for complete applications, filled by student and mentor, which should be received by 5:00 p.m. Friday, March 1, 2019.