2020 SURF Request for Proposals
The Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) program is now open in Jag$POT! This program supports outstanding students from all academic majors participating in scholarly research projects or creative activities under the direction of faculty mentors. Fellows are offered opportunities to:
- Acquire scholarly expertise through hands-on experience
- Develop skills in scholarly communication
- Enjoy participation in a community of scholars
- Contribute to the discovery of new knowledge or development of new perspectives
Applications will be submitted through Jag$POT, but in the meantime you can read the detailed proposal guidelines by downloading the Request for Proposals. Start your proposal preparation using this SURF Proposal Worksheet and SURF Mentor Agreement Form.
Application open in Jag$POT January 13
Application deadline February 21 - please submit Mentor Agreements and Reference Letters by 2/26/20.
Award notifications April 3
Program starts May 18
Program ends July 24
Who is eligible?
- Any academic major at South Alabama
- Must be enrolled in Fall 2020 (not graduating in August 2020)
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 (some flexibility)
What other selection criteria are considered?
- First-year students may apply, but preference is given to students who have completed two or more years in their academic majors. Awards may be made to first-year students if funds are available.
- Students who have received a SURF award in the past may apply, but preference will be given to students who have not already participated in the program. If awards are available, repeat awards may be made.
- A maximum of two students may receive a SURF award with the same faculty mentor.
- SURF participants are generally expected to be present on campus, working with a South faculty member, for the summer project. If your project involves travel, consult with the Office of Undergraduate Research prior to applying.
What is the award?
Stipends of $2000 are disbursed over the summer as fellows submit benchmark requirements.
What are the expectations for SURF participation?
- Attend an information session in late April
- Participate in SURF workshops on Tuesdays during summer
- Work on your project at least 20 hours per week through the 10-week program
- Submit required program benchmark documents on time
- Present in the Undergraduate Research Symposium on October 29
If you have questions about finding a mentor, eligibility, expectations, or writing the proposal, contact Dr. Wheeler at email@example.com.