University Mass Email
New Email Submission System
On August 12, 2019, the University launched an updated version of the Mass Email and Daily Digest email system. This new web-based system is available through the “Login” portal, which is accessed through the top menu bar on any page of the USA website. You will need to log in with your J number and JagNet password.
There are a number of new features with the updated system, including:
- a menu for selecting the right audiences for your email;
- formatting that allows you to customize your text and insert hyperlinks;
- a preview and test function so you can view a copy of your email before it is distributed;
- and a “my messages” function that allows you to see the approval and delivery status of your emails and access an archive of your previously sent messages.
Please note that as of August 12, emails sent to the “old” listserv addresses (i.e. firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com) will no longer be processed and you will receive an error reply.
When you first log into the system, please review the policies on the home page as well as the Frequently Asked Questions under the MY SETTINGS menu. If you have additional questions after reviewing these sections, there is a a “Submit a Question” button on the website, which will route your questions to the appropriate person for a response.
On behalf of the IT and Marketing and Communications offices, we hope you’ll find this version of the Mass Email and Daily Digest system to be an improved user experience.
University Mass Email Procedures
University of South Alabama faculty, staff and students may use the University-wide mass email system to communicate official University business with the University community. The Office of Marketing and Communications reviews and distributes all mass emails submitted during regular business hours. Emails should be sent to the appropriate mass email system address a minimum of two business days before the desired distribution date.
University mass email messages are distributed once each weekday evening through the Daily Digest. Employees and students who prefer to receive individual email messages which will arrive at varying times of day may opt out of the Daily Digest at http://www.southalabama.edu/services/jagnet/digest.html. Emails addressing issues of safety and other high priority items will still be sent individually regardless of your Daily Digest setting.
Emails to the Daily Digest system are processed for same-day distribution if they are received by 3 p.m. Emails received after 3 p.m. will appear in the next day’s digest.
- Type a brief, meaningful subject in the “Subject” block.
- Type your message in the “Message” block exactly as you want it to appear. Do not include personal notes such as “Please post this…”
- There is a two message limit for programs and events — please plan accordingly. Extra messages will not be sent.
- The University-wide email system is designed to use HTML formatting. However, messages composed in word processing (such as Microsoft Word) or other applications outside an email program may contain extraneous characters that are not processed correctly by email programs. To ensure proper formatting, avoid cutting and pasting directly from word processing applications. Instead, first paste your message into Notepad (or some other text-only editing package) and then copy or cut the text from Notepad and paste it into the email message block.
- Ensure that all pertinent information (who, what, when, where, contact phone/email, etc.) is included in your message.
- Emails may not be used to promote non-USA affiliated events.
- Emails that include surveys must first be sent to http://www.southalabama.edu/departments/institutionaleffectiveness/surveyrequests.html for review. You will be notified when a survey has been approved.
- Do not include attachments. Please include all information in the body of the email, or you can include a link (URL) to a University of South Alabama web page. The link should be in the following form: http://servername/filepathname. If you place the link at the end of a sentence, please include a space before the trailing period to prevent readers from interpreting the period as part of the link. If you need assistance with a Web page, contact Web Services at (251) 460-6161.
- Carefully proofread your message for errors before sending.
If you have questions, please call the Office of Marketing and Communications at (251) 460-6211.