Meisler Hall


▼   Midterm Grades

Fall 2024 Grade Availability
Students can view their midterm grades for the Fall 2024 semester via their PAWS account beginning Wednesday October 9, 2024 by 9:00 AM .

Midterm grades are posted on PAWS and are not mailed.

Instructions on how to access your final grades.

  • Login to your PAWS account
  • Click 'Student Services and Financial Aid'.
  • Click 'Student Records'.
  • Click 'Midterm Grades'.
  • Click 'Submit'.
▼   Final Grades

Summer 2024 Grade Availability
Students can view their final grades for the Summer 2024 semester via their PAWS account beginning Wednesday July 31, 2024 at Noon.

Final grades are posted on PAWS and are not mailed.

Instructions on how to access your final grades.

  • Login to your PAWS account.
  • Click 'Student Services and Financial Aid'.
  • Click 'Student Records'.
  • Click 'Final Grades'.
  • Click 'Submit'.
▼   Grade Changes

 A student seeking a grade change must contact the instructor of the course. A grade change requires the approval of the instructor, the signature of the department chair, and the dean of the college in which the course is taught. Academic standing is reviewed after each grade change and any necessary changes are made. Grades on record for one calendar year may not be changed for any reason. All grade changes will be updated on PAWS as the Change of Grade Form is received in the Registrar's Office. Updated grade reports will not be mailed. To view the grade update, a student will go to PAWS. Instructions on how to view a grade change:

  • Login to your PAWS account
  • Click 'Student Services and Financial Aid'.
  • Click 'Academic Transcript'.
  • Click 'Transcript Level'.
  • Click 'Submit'.
▼   Grade Replacement Policy

Under certain conditions, when a course has been repeated, a student may request that an earlier grade not be used in the calculation of the USA grade point average.

Please note: a USA grade point average that includes grade replacement, may not be used for some purposes. For example, graduate and professional programs may recalculate your grade point average with no grade replacement for admissions decisions.

Note to students: If you receive financial aid, please be aware that the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy is separate from the Grade Replacement Policy. Replacement of a grade does not change the Satisfactory Academic Progress calculation. All work attempted is part of this calculation and repeating courses could negatively affect your eligibility for financial aid. If you have questions, please contact the Office of Financial Aid (251-460-6231 or

If you received a University of South Alabama Scholarship that requires you to complete 30 semester hours/ academic year, be aware that repeating a course for grade replacement in the same year will not contribute additional credit hours towards satisfying the 30 semester hour requirement. For the replacement to impact your USA GPA in a specific year or term, this form must be processed prior to the deadline for scholarship review for that year or term. Contact the Office of Scholarship Services to obtain deadline dates.

Grade replacements are subject to the following conditions:

  • Only USA undergraduate students seeking a first Bachelor's degree qualify for this policy.
  • All attempts for each course are recorded on the transcript. Courses that are not used in calculating the GPA will remain on the transcript.
  • Only courses taken at USA are eligible for grade replacement.
  • Courses in which a B, C, D, or F was earned may be eligible for grade replacement..
  • A maximum of 12 credit hours of undergraduate (100-400 level) course grades may be replaced. In each case, the student must have repeated the identical course with an improved grade relative to the course grade being replaced.
  • It is possible for a student to have more than one grade removed from the GPA calculation for the same course. However, each grade that is removed counts towards the maximum of 12 credit hours eligible for grade replacement.
  • Certain courses are not eligible for grade replacement. Courses that are not eligible include: Graduate courses, PE activity courses, internships/clinical courses, health science professional courses, field experiences, research seminars, independent/directed studies, and special topics courses. Students should with their specific program for further restrictions on eligible courses.
  • A course grade grade for which academic misconduct has been established does not qualify for grade replacement.
  • Once a student graduates with any first Bachelor's degree, a class may not be repeated to improve the USA grade point average.
  • Grade replacement does not change a student's past academic standing.

Application Procedure

  • Complete a Grade Replacement Application form* and turn it in to your College Advising office.
  • Each course grade replacement request must be done on a separate form.
  • Once a grade is replaced, the action is irrevocable.
  • A maximum of 12 USA credit hours for repeated courses can be replaced. Additional requests will not be granted. This rule may not be appealed.
  • This form may be turned in any time before the awarding of the student's first Bachelor's degree at USA.
  • Students will be notified through their USA email of the approval or denial of this request. Students may confirm grade replacement by viewing their PAWS transcript.
▼   Academic Bankruptcy

Undergraduate students readmitted after an absence of at least one or more calendar years may choose to count all or none of their USA credits toward completion of degree requirements and the computation of their GPA. Should the student elect to declare academic bankruptcy, the student would be allowed to start academic work over at USA with a GPA of zero; however, all course work will remain on the student's academic record.

This election may be made only once during a student's USA career and is irrevocable.  Academic bankruptcy applies only to courses completed at USA.

In determining academic honors, only the course work taken after academic bankruptcy has been declared counts in the calculation of GPA.

The option of academic bankruptcy is not available to students who have received a bachelor's degree or certificate.

The Academic Bankruptcy Request form must be approved and signed by the dean of the student's college.                                 

Revised 5/9/2024