Student Records

Students writing in class at desks
You may make changes to your personal information by:
  • Using PAWS
  • Completing the appropriate form(s) at the Registrar's Office.
  • Submitting a written request to:

University of South Alabama
Office of the Registrar
Meisler Hall, Suite 1100
390 Student Center Circle
Mobile, AL 36688

▼   Non-Disclosure

A student has the right to request that the University not release public information. To request non-disclosure of directory information, students must complete a "Request to Prevent Disclosure of Directory Information" form in the Registrar's Office. This request is valid until the student notifies the Registrar through a written request to remove the non-disclosure flag.

For more information go to

▼   Change of Address/Telephone Information

For faster and more accurate processing, please use PAWS to update your address and telephone number.

Written change of address requests must include your name, student ID or social security number (voluntary), your signature, your new address (please indicate if this is your permanent or local address), and your telephone number.

▼   Change of Name

Name change requests must be in writing and include your student ID or social security number, your name PRIOR to the change, as well as your new name, date of birth, marital status (unmarried, married, widowed, separated), your signature, and a copy of one of the following court generated documents:

Birth Certificate
Marriage Certificate
Court Order/Divorce Decree
Social Security Card
Passport or Visa (Required by international students. Must be original)

You may also download a "Change of Name" form (PDF). The University reserves the right to request more than one form of documentation for verification purposes.

▼   Preferred Name

Student Preferred Name
The University of South Alabama recognizes that many of its students use a name other than their legal name.  Therefore, the University will permit current students to identify themselves within the university’s information system with a preferred name in addition to their legal name as long as the use of a preferred name is not for the purpose of misrepresentation. It is further understood that the student's preferred name should be used in university communications, except where the use of the legal name is necessitated by university business or legal requirement.

This service may be modified, changed, altered, or rescinded at the discretion of University.

What is a Preferred Name?
A preferred name is a first name (i.e., given name) that may be chosen to be used instead of legal first name. Students may opt to go by a preferred name that is different from their legal first name. This name will appear on the class roster instead of legal name. Some records, such as paychecks or financial aid, that require use of a legal name, will not change to preferred name. However, whenever possible, preferred name will be used.

Campus Use of Preferred Name
Currently, the preferred name will only appear on the University’s class rosters.  Jag IDs are required to display the legal name as it appears in the University’s information system. Campus departments are encouraged to utilize preferred name in their business practices except where legal name is required.

How can I set my preferred name?
You must submit a Preferred Name Request Form (PDF) to the Office of the Registrar along with a photo ID. The ID will only be used to verify that the student is making the request.  A current driver’s license, Jag ID, or passport may be used.

▼   Social Security Number

Bring your Social Security card to the Registrar's Office or send a copy along with your request to the above address.