Radiologic Technology is the art and science of applying x-ray or gamma radiation in the treatment and diagnosis of patient disease or injury. Radiologic Technology is a profession, which includes those individuals who perform radiographic procedures, nuclear medicine procedures, and radiation therapy procedures. Individuals performing these procedures are referred to as Radiographers, Nuclear Medicine Technologists, and Radiation Therapists. The Department of Radiologic Sciences prepares students to become Radiographers, formerly referred to as radiologic technologists, who perform and assist physicians in performing x-ray examinations in order to determine the presence of disease or injury. Radiographers utilize sophisticated x-ray equipment in recording the hidden structures of the body on radiographic imaging systems. The types of x-ray examinations vary considerably and include radiography of the organs and glands of the abdomen and chest, specialized studies of veins and arteries found throughout the body, and radiography of the entire bony components of the human skeleton. Additional information concerning the duties of a Radiographer will be obtained during an observation visit to the Department of Radiology at a hospital designated by the University of South Alabama, Department of Radiologic Sciences. This aspect of the admission requirements is discussed later.

X-ray examinations require the application of numerous scientific principles and an interest and desire to care for the sick and injured. Radiographers, like other health professionals, must not only be dedicated to the care of the sick and injured, but must also be actively involved in continuing education throughout their professional career in order to maintain professional competency and to keep abreast of the ever-advancing technological changes taking place in medical science.

The Department also provides students with the opportunity to seek specialized training in the areas of CT, Mammography, MRI, Radiation Therapy, Ultrasound, Cardiovascular Interventional Radiography and Radiology Administration.
The bachelor’s curriculum in radiologic sciences in divided into a pre-professional and professional component. The pre-professional component requires four semesters (62-63 semester hours) of non-radiography courses. Following the completion of the pre-professional component, the time required to complete the professional component/bachelor’s program in radiologic sciences at the University of South Alabama, Department of Radiologic Sciences is 24 months.
The program is fully accredited by:

The Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology
20 North Wacker Drive, Suite 2850
Chicago, Illinois 60606-3182

In the professional component, students attend four regular semesters (Fall and Spring), and two summer sessions. Upon completion of the prescribed courses, students are awarded the bachelor’s degree, and are eligible to take the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists Examination for national certification as Radiographers. Depending upon one’s selection of specialties, graduates will also qualify to take certification examinations via the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) and/or the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (RDMS) in one of the specialty areas offered by the Department.
No. The minimum requirement is the completion of a twenty-four month JRCERT or regionally accredited college/university accredited program, which grants an Associate degree. The same is true for Radiation Therapy. Privately operated ultrasound programs may require less than 24 months. Thus, applicants are encouraged to investigate all of the opportunities available from a variety of institutions in searching for a program, which best fulfills one's needs.

Worthy of mention is that many consider the completion of a bachelor's program in radiologic sciences will enhance one's opportunities to pursue employment in the following areas:
  • State and County Health Departments in Radiologic Health and Safety.
  • Sales representatives with radiology-related commercial companies.
  • Teaching positions in educational institutions as instructors in radiologic sciences.
  • Management positions in radiology departments.
  • Advanced imaging specialists in radiology departments.
As mentioned previously, there are several areas of specialization in radiography from which to choose, including vascular radiography, computerized tomography, magnetic resonance imaging, mammography, radiation therapy and ultrasound. Students are introduced to all of the specialized areas during their junior year. The B.S. program provides in-depth training during the senior year in the areas of computerized tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), mammography, radiation therapy, ultrasound, vascular radiography and radiology administration. Advanced certification in these areas is now offered through the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists, and/or the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS), except for Radiology Administration. The department does not offer training in Nuclear Medicine.
The time frame in which students reach the decision regarding which area of specialization they will select occurs during the summer semester of their junior year. When the fall semester of the senior year begins, students will take courses in the specialized area they have chosen. It is important to note that admission to the various modalities may be limited to the availability of clinical rotation sites.
Students selecting mammography, CT, MRI or vascular radiography will qualify to take the ARRT examination in radiography and upon fulfilling all of the required clinical competencies, will qualify to take the ARRT registry in those specialty areas previously mentioned.

Students selecting ultrasound or radiation therapy have two choices where certification is concerned. The first choice is to enter ultrasound or radiation therapy, complete the program and take the certification examination in the specialized area chosen. This approach does not qualify the student to take the ARRT exam in radiography. The second choice requires the student to complete the bachelor’s program, which qualifies the student to take the ARRT radiography exam. Students selecting this approach will enroll for an additional three semesters in ultrasound or radiation therapy. At the completion of the additional three semesters, students will qualify to take the examination in radiation therapy or ultrasound.
A radiologist is a Medical Doctor who has specialized in radiology. The radiologist is concerned with diagnosis and treatment of diseases. To become a radiologist, one must spend four years in pre-medical education, four years in medical school, and usually four additional years as an intern/resident in radiology.

A radiographer/radiation therapist/sonographer performs the technical aspects of radiology and acts as a physician's (radiologist) assistant. The radiographer/radiation therapist/sonographer does not diagnose illnesses as demonstrated on radiographic images, or prescribe treatments for disease or injury.
The following information was taken from the United States Department of Labor – Bureau of Labor Statistics regarding employment opportunities for Radiographers/Radiologic Technologists and has been modified, in part, to fulfill the objective of providing an accurate response to this question.

Employment change. Employment of radiologic technologists is expected to increase by about 17 percent from 2008 to 2018, faster than the average for all occupations. Although hospitals will remain the principal employer of radiologic technologists, a number of new jobs will be found in offices of physicians and diagnostic imaging centers. As technology advances many imaging modalities are becoming less expensive and more feasible to have in a physician’s office.

Job prospects. In addition to job growth, job openings also will arise from the need to replace technologists who leave the occupation. Those with knowledge of more than one diagnostic imaging procedure—such as CT, MR, and mammography, etc—will have the best employment opportunities as employers seek to control costs by using multi-credentialed employees.

Demand for radiologic technologists can tend to be regional with some areas having large demand, while other areas are saturated. Technologists willing to relocate may have better job prospects.

We believe the statements above accurately reflect the current employment opportunities for radiographers. However, the current economic down turn has affected the number of job opportunities locally, and we are unable to suggest when employment opportunities will return to their pre-2007 rate. Still, the majority of our graduates (75% and higher) continue to secure employment within six months following graduation.
Beginning salaries for entry level radiographers are currently estimated to be $32,000 to $35,000 annually. Obtaining a specialty area will increase one’s starting salary. One's salary should also increase as experience is acquired. However, whether or not one receives higher salaries depends on the individual, and his/her desire to develop new expertise.
Effective 2015, hospital-based schools are required to establish affiliations with colleges and will conduct twenty-four month programs which lead, at a minimum, to an Associate’s Degree and certification in radiography. Regardless of who conducts the program (hospital, university, or college), graduates qualify to take the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists examination for licensure as a radiographer, providing the program grants, at a minimum, an associate’s degree and provided the program in question is approved by the Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology or a college/university regional accrediting agency.
There is no simple answer to this question because we feel that students should thoroughly investigate both types of programs, and choose the school which fulfills the needs of the individual. Generally speaking, hospital-based programs affiliated with junior colleges require far less tuition when compared to four-year institutions, and this is an important factor to consider. It should also be stated that hospital-based programs affiliated with junior colleges generally offer quality educational programs.

Regardless of whether a program is hospital or college-based, we recommend students consider the mission and goals of a program in determining which program to attend. Simply stated, our mission is to educate men and women who want to become Registered Radiographers and who wish to prepare for that career in a college setting, while earning a bachelor's degree.
Once again, effective 2015, all hospital-based programs must be affiliated with a college, which offers at a minimum, the Associates Degree. Providing these graduates complete all of the non-radiology courses required by the Department of Radiologic Sciences and providing their radiology course work is weighted in semester or quarter hours and approved by a college, graduates of hospital-based programs may transfer to our bachelor’s program.
The application process begins when the student submits a Department of Radiologic Sciences application form, which is available online. Steps to admission are also outlined online.

The completed departmental application form may be faxed to (251) 445-9347 or mailed to:

Admissions Committee
Department of Radiologic Sciences
HAHN 3015
5721 USA Drive North
Mobile, AL, 36688-0002.

Application deadline is May 1st of each year.

Students must also apply and be accepted to the University before they are granted an interview and subsequently considered for admission into the Department of Radiologic Sciences. However, acceptance into the University does not guarantee admission to the Department of Radiologic Sciences as enrollment is limited and depends on the number of clinical openings available, as well as the student capacity as determined by the accrediting agency (JRCERT).

While three reference forms must be submitted by May 1st, they do not have to accompany the completed application form. Reference forms are available online and should be returned directly to the Department of Radiologic Sciences by the person completing the reference. Health records are also required for admission; however, applicants should not forward this information until they have been officially notified they have been accepted into the program. Students accepted must forward health records prior to the beginning of the Fall Semester.
No one can be guaranteed admission into this program until the Admissions Committee has considered all of the applicants. However, your admission can be enhanced by completing the requirements for admission on time as well as making sure you have a good background in science and math, and your ACT scores have been forwarded in a timely manner. The steps to admission are outlined online.
Yes. Although the University waives this requirement for transfer and adult students, the ACT is required for the Department of Radiologic Sciences, regardless of transfer status, age, or length of time out of school. ACT scores are part of the application requirement, so should be received by the May 1st application deadline. If a student has had the SAT exam, those scores may be submitted instead of the ACT.
The Department of Radiologic Sciences does not have a minimum ACT requirement for application to or acceptance in the program. The ACT is simply one of several factors in the decision-making process. If individual scores for Math, English and Natural Science on the ACT are below 18, it is strongly advised that the test be retaken. One can further enhance their admission by re-taking the ACT regardless of their previous score with the intent of improving one’s score. It is important to understand that the Department only accepts the highest scores, so there is absolutely no risk in re-taking the test a second or third time. In addition, applicants who decide to repeat their ACT should consider purchasing an ACT review book in preparing for the test.
Applicants who have not completed the ACT requirement must do so in order to be considered eligible for admission to the Department of Radiologic Sciences. In cases where the applicant takes the ACT just prior to the Department of Radiologic Sciences' application deadline, admission will be delayed contingent upon receipt of the test results. However, if the ACT results are not received prior to the Admission Committee's final decision, applicants will be denied admission to the program.
Yes. All applicants, regardless of their past academic background, must meet the ACT requirement.
The personal interview allows members of the Admissions Committee to meet each applicant and acquire additional information beyond the academic related data derived from transcripts and personal references. The interview period is also utilized to measure the applicant's verbal and written communication skills, which are considered extremely important in view of the fact that students must communicate with patients, physicians, and other allied health professionals during the course of their education and throughout their professional career.
There are no special preparations, nor is it recommended that one attempt to prepare for this interview as though it were an examination. The questions are general in nature and it is suggested that the applicant simply be himself/herself. Each applicant will be interviewed by members of the Admissions Committee. The interview is conducted in a round-table fashion to provide a more relaxed environment. The purpose of the interview is to obtain additional information beyond that provided by one's transcript, test scores, etc. In short, the interview is nothing more than a step or phase in the admission procedure, and applicants should not view this step in a fearful or intimidating manner. The interview process, which consists of the actual interview and the administration of a written communication skills test, will last approximately 45 minutes and applicants should plan their arrival and departure accordingly.
Although the deadline for submission of departmental application is May 1st, interviews will generally begin during the month of March and continue through the month of May. Interviews scheduled during the month of March and April are intended to expedite the interview process for those who apply prior to the published application deadline. Applicants will be allowed to choose from a list of scheduled interview dates with their preference as to the date and time of the interview. Interviews cannot be scheduled until applications have been received by the Department of Radiologic Sciences. Therefore, applicants are urged to contact the secretary of the Department of Radiologic Sciences in order to insure this information has been received. This can be accomplished by calling (251) 445-9346. Applicants will be contacted approximately two weeks before interviews begin, and appointments will be made at that time.
All final decisions regarding admission are made in late May to early June, and all applicants are notified in writing.
The purpose of requiring applicants to visit the Department of Radiology is to enable applicants to see several types of x-ray examinations, as well as to allow one an opportunity to develop a better understanding of the duties and responsibilities of the radiographer. It is also hoped that visiting a Department of Radiology will assist the student in making decisions regarding his/her career goals.
If your application is on file in the Department of Radiologic Sciences, you will receive a letter or be contacted by phone or email asking that you call the department to schedule observation and interview appointments. The observation site will be determined by the Admissions Committee, and observation and interview appointments MUST be scheduled through the Department of Radiologic Sciences at (251) 445-9346. Observations must be conducted from 8 am until noon on a weekday (Monday - Friday). Observation forms are available on the Department's web page.
No. Call the Department of Radiologic Sciences at (251) 445-9346 to let us know of your plans, then you may arrange to visit a hospital closer to home. However, you must have the Radiology Administrative Director or Department Director of the radiology department you visit complete an observation form. Prior to the observation, the applicant is responsible for verifying that most of the procedures listed on the observation form will be available during the actual observation time.
All applicants must fulfill the period of observation within a hospital Department of Radiology prior to reporting for their personal interview. Therefore, the last day to schedule a visit to the hospital will be determined by the date scheduled for the personal interview. However, applicants are urged to complete this step to admission as soon as possible.
Yes. Core performance standards are fundamental tasks and skills that are required for successful completion of the program. They have been outlined and are available on our web site side navigation bar.
Yes. Junior and senior college students transfer into the bachelor's program each year. Most, if not all, of the freshman and sophomore level courses taken at other institutions are transferable. To ensure transferability of course, consult the program model curriculum for a listing of required freshman and sophomore courses. We are pleased with the success experienced by transfer students in our program and we welcome their applications. Students desiring to transfer from other radiography programs are considered on a case-by-case basis. In addition, transfer students should understand that the maximum number of credits accepted for transfer from a junior college is 64 semester hours.
No. All of the lecture and lab classes will be conducted on campus on the third floor of the Health Sciences Building. Additionally, the Department of Radiologic Sciences is affiliated with twelve hospitals and clinics in the Mobile, Baldwin and Monroe Counties, and students rotate through these hospitals in order to fulfill the clinical component of the curriculum. The clinical education centers (hospital and clinic affiliates) are the USA Health University Hospital, University of South Alabama Children’s & Women’s Hospital, Providence Hospital, Mobile Infirmary Medical Center, Infirmary West, Thomas Hospital, Thomas Medical Center, North Baldwin Infirmary (Bay Minette, AL), Monroe County Hospital (Monroeville), Alabama Orthopedic Clinic, and Springhill Medical Center. Due to the distance between the clinical sites and the USA campus, student schedules are arranged in order to avoid unnecessary travel. However, applicants should consider the travel requirement at the same time other financial considerations are made, i.e., tuition, books, uniforms, etc. Students must be prepared to travel up to 90 miles from campus in order to participate in the clinical education component of the curriculum.
As a student at the University of South Alabama, you do not attend classes during the break periods between semesters. Moreover, students are dismissed from classes on all holidays observed by the University. Additional information concerning attendance policies arising from student illness and other reasons for absenteeism may be obtained by calling (251) 445-9346.
The Admissions Committee evaluates all candidates according to the following criteria:
  • ACT or SAT scores
  • Grade Point Average
  • Written communication skills
  • Results of the personal interview
  • Applicant History (BS/BA degree, completion of A.S. radiography program, work experience in radiography, number of times applied, GPA above 3.24
  • As a state institution, Alabama residents are given additional consideration.
Decisions regarding applicant admission are based on a point system, which considers the following factors:
(A) American College Test sub scores in English + Math + Natural Science x 1.5 (162 total points possible) + (B) Written Communication Skills (24 points possible) + (C) Personal Interview (145 points possible) + (D) Additional Personal Achievements: Application History (up to 10 points) + BS/BA degree or Higher (20 points) + Completion of College-Based Radiography Program (20 points) + Previous Work Experience as a Radiographer (20 points) + College Cumulative GPA of 3.25-4.0 (10 points). The maximum number of points possible is 411.
Information/data obtained from the factors listed above are tabulated and each applicant receives a total score (total amount of points) for the entire admission process.
However, regardless of the total score, all applicants who have previously completed college-level courses must have a minimum GPA of 2.0 (C average) and an ACT/SAT score in order to be admitted. It is therefore easy to see that one's past academic performance is of paramount importance.
  • Tuition and Fees*:  See the latest USA Bulletin
  • Books:  Approximately  $700-800
  • Uniforms:  Approximately $250
  • Clinical Data System:  One-time payment of $150
  • Drug Screen:  Approximately $25
  • Background Check:  Varies based on number of prior residences, but approximately $50
  • Personal Medical Insurance:  Must possess throughout program
  • Housing:  On campus student housing is available as well as many rental homes/apartments in the area. Due to the various types of housing available to students on campus, it is suggested that students contact the Department of Housing for information at the following address:

    Department of Housing, Delta Commons
    Mobile, Alabama 36688-0002
    (251) 460-6185
  • Transportation:  Students must be prepared to travel up to 90 miles from campus to participate in clinical education experiences.
  • Professional Liability Insurance:  Professional Liability Insurance is required as a protective measure in the event a student becomes entangled in a legal suit involving patient care activities within the clinical setting. Professional Liability Insurance is provided by the university at no cost to students accepted into the professional component of the program.

*The University reserves the right to change fees, as deemed necessary by the Board of Trustees, without prior notice.

Students living in Escambia and Santa Rosa Counties in Florida and those living in George, Green, Harrison, Jackson, Perry and Stone Counties of Mississippi do not pay out-of-state tuition. Other students will have to pay out-of-state tuition.

NOTE: Students completing their radiography education in Mississippi, who do not live in one of the counties mentioned above, should be aware that due to the establishment of a B.S. program at the University of Mississippi Medical Center, you may have to pay out-of-state tuition. You are encouraged to check with the Mississippi Academic Common Market to check on your status relative to out-of-state tuition and attendance at the University of South Alabama.
Yes. The University of South Alabama offers financial aid assistance through various grant and loan programs. University and privately funded scholarship programs are also available. Inquiries regarding financial aid should be addressed to:

Office of Financial Aid
Meisler Hall
Suite 1200
University of South Alabama
Mobile, AL 36688-0002
(251) 460-6231

Radiography Program:
Department of Radiologic Sciences Scholarship
Mary Lou Durich Endowed Scholarship in Radiologic Sciences
Dr. Charles and Penny Newell Endowed Scholarship in Radiologic Sciences

These scholarships are awarded annually to three senior radiography students at the conclusion of the fall semester.

Radiation Therapy Program:
Radiation Therapy Endowed Scholarship

This scholarship is awarded annually to a senior radiation therapy student.

Note: Students interested in receiving a scholarship are urged to complete a “fafsa form” early in their enrollment in the radiologic sciences program. This form can be accessed at www.fafsa.ed.gov, and is required for most scholarship programs. 
Yes. Proof of medical insurance coverage is required of all students who are selected for admission to the program and should be submitted only when requested in the letter of admission. The reason for this requirement is that accidents occurring in the clinical setting, such as an accidental needle stick, require immediate medical attention. In such cases, the student must be prepared to pay for the required services. Therefore, it is necessary for students to carry personal medical insurance.
Various policies have been developed which address absenteeism arising from student pregnancy, illness, or injury. These policies are discussed in the departmental student handbook (Student Reference Manual) under the general headings of withdrawal and leave of absence. Specific policies of interest to the student applicant are outlined below.

A. Withdrawal Due To Medical-Related Reasons: Students may withdraw from the program due to medical-related reasons. Following the period of recovery, students will be allowed to re-enter the program and complete their education providing they withdraw from the program in good academic standing. It is the responsibility of the student to notify the appropriate instructors of their intent to withdraw. Plans relative to the student's return to the program will be formulated on a case-by-case basis.

1. The following policies apply to instances of student pregnancy:
    • Students have the option of notifying the faculty of a suspected and/or confirmed pregnancy. Notification can be achieved by voluntarily completing a Declared Pregnancy Worker Form, which is available in the office of the Department of Radiologic Sciences.
    • Student options relative to pregnancy are:
      • The student may withdraw from the program and re-enter at a later date as is the case with withdrawal due to other medical-related reasons.
      • Students may withdraw from clinical education courses and continue with the didactic component of the curriculum. A student selecting this option will be allowed to complete clinical education courses only during the semester in which the clinical course is offered.
      • The student may continue in both the didactic and clinical components of the curriculum providing their radiation exposure does not exceed accepted standards as published in the University of South Alabama Radiation Safety Manual. The manual states that "during the entire gestation period, the maximum permissible dose equivalent to the fetus from occupational exposure of the expectant mother should not exceed 5 mSv (0.5Rem)." If the allowable dosage is exceeded, the student will be advised to withdraw from the clinical phase of the program for the remainder of the gestation period. It must be understood that students electing to remain in clinical education courses will be expected to complete/fulfill the course requirements of clinical education courses in which they are enrolled.
2. Policies relative to withdrawal due to major illness/injury:
    • The student must provide a written communique from his/her physician which explains the estimated time of recovery and the limits, if any, placed upon the student's activity.
    • The appropriate faculty member (course master) must be notified and the physician's communique presented in a timely fashion.
    • The course master in consult with the departmental chairperson will formulate plans concerning the student's re-entry to the program and the student will be notified accordingly.
3. Summary Statement
    • It is important to note that this program emphasizes the relationship and/or the interdependence which exists between didactic and clinical instruction. Thus, students may be required to audit/repeat some didactic courses if one's clinical performance upon their return to the clinical setting reveals a need to do so. The latter aspect of this policy would, of course, depend upon the length/period of withdrawal.
    • Withdrawal from the program due to a medical leave of absence (illness or pregnancy) will not allow the student to return to the program once a semester is underway. This means that students must re-enter the program at the beginning of a given semester.
B. Leave of Absence Policy: Leave of absence refers to a situation in which a student is allowed to be absent for a period of time without having to withdraw from the program. A leave of absence generally suggests a more short-term departure than that of withdrawal. A leave of absence may be granted in cases of family medical emergencies, serious personal and/or family-related problems, and similar situations considered serious enough by the faculty to warrant such consideration. Students must consult with departmental faculty in order to receive permission to take a leave of absence. Following faculty discussions relative to the situation at hand, the student will be notified of the faculty's decision and plans regarding the student's absence, as well as his/her return will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
No. The model curriculum is merely a listing of required non-radiography courses, which may be taken in the order which best suits the student’s needs. However, it is strongly recommended that sequence courses, such as anatomy and physiology (A & P) be taken in the order listed, i.e., A & P I followed by A & P II, etc. All prerequisites MUST be completed prior to the fall semester of the year students anticipate entering the professional component of the degree program.
The U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics provides a great deal of information on occupations in radiography. In addition, the American Society of Radiologic Technologists' (A.S.R.T.) web site can also provide information under the headings of About our Profession and Career Center. Some other sites that may have additional information are listed on the LINKS tab to the left.
At the conclusion of their junior year, students will have the opportunity to select an area of specialization which is referred to as Advanced Modalities.  The current areas of specialization include CT, mammography, MRI, ultrasound, radiation therapy and cardiovascular interventional imaging. In addition to these modalities, students may also select radiology administration as a companion modality which means that one can complete one clinical modality e.g., CT, plus radiology administration.

Each of these areas have limited student enrollment that is based on the number of clinical facilities and/or the number of treatment or imaging facilities available, as well as enrollment limitations imposed by the program’s national accrediting agency (JRCERT).  Thus, admission to the advanced modalities is necessarily limited. All students will receive a form titled Advanced Modality Options which requires the applicant to list their first and second choice for an area of specialization.

USA junior students should understand that admission to the advanced modalities is also extended to (1) former USA program graduates, (2) technologists from outside the department who possess appropriate qualifications and (3) graduates from other programs who must also possess appropriate qualifications. The result may produce instances where a USA junior student is denied admission to their preferred modality. However, USA students can still earn their bachelor’s degree while pursuing a different modality. Students not selected for admission to their first choice will have the opportunity to re-apply for admission to their first modality choice the following year. Obviously, waiting an additional year to be admitted to one’s first choice is not a pleasant thought. However, one’s second application to their original modality choice will definitely enhance their chance of being admitted because they will have received their bachelor’s degree as well as completed another advanced imaging modality. Moreover, the possession of certification in two advanced modalities will have a positive impact upon one’s future employment and promotion potential.

The criteria employed to evaluate all applicants for admission to the advanced imaging modalities is depicted below and is titled Senior Modality Applicant Summary Rating Form.
Maintaining a high GPA, high ACT score, and exploring as many facets of radiologic sciences as possible will help initial ranking and performance on the interview. Excellent writing and good interpersonal skills are equally emphasized.
Yes. No waiting lists are formed. Instead, a selection process is used. Applications are not rolled over from one year to the next, so returning applicants must re-apply.
There are no evening or weekend classes available.
Yes, all pre-requisite courses must be completed prior to enrollment in the fall semester for students who are accepted into the program.
No, as long as they have been taken at an accredited university or college.
Since community college courses are listed at the 100 and 200 levels, there is no method available at this time to establish specific course equivalency. However, the department does provide a provision in its admissions process that allows the acceptance of 41 semester hours of upper level semester credit for community college transferees. This provision is listed in the University Bulletin and in the Department’s web page. The provision is stated as follows:

In addition to meeting all other admissions requirements, associate degree transfer radiography students are required to take a 6 hour bridge course (Rad 491-Concepts of Professional Radiologic Practice). Upon completion of the bridge course, 41 semester hours of upper level credit will be awarded for the student’s previous radiography training during the final semester before graduation. This course is offered once each year during the summer semester. Therefore, students should plan to complete the bridge during the summer prior to their enrollment in the fall semester.

So, the 41 semester hours helps to fulfill the University’s upper level course requirement, while allowing students to graduate in three semesters, providing they complete all of the other course requirements.
No. The University does not allow students to earn a second degree in the same discipline.
No. Any federally supported government loan or grant program prohibits the use of federal funding to support an additional baccalaureate degree or certificate in the same discipline beyond which the original funding was intended.
Yes. However, you should check with the University Office of Financial Aid for details concerning your specific financial needs, and related advising.
You should contact any faculty member of the Department of Radiologic Sciences. They will be glad to answer any questions you might have. You can contact our faculty by going to the faculty page and clicking on the name beneath the photo of the faculty member you would like to contact. You may also speak with the departmental secretary by calling (251) 445-9346.