USA Student Transient Policy

Transient Students

Are you thinking about attending another institution this summer? If so and you are in good academic standing (a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher), you will need to complete the transient form. Continue reading to learn what you need to do to take classes at another institution while you are still a continuing student at USA.

Information About "Going Transient"

  1. What does it mean to be a "transient student?"

    If you plan to attend another college or university to take a course(s) for transfer to USA, you are considered a transient student.

  2. How do I "go transient?"

    Complete the USA transient form. You can find the document using the following the steps listed below.

    Once you have completed the form, then you will apply to the other institution as a transient, visiting, or guest student.

    When you have completed your coursework, you must request that an official transcript be sent from the other institution to the University of South Alabama Registrar. This can be sent electronically through the National Student Clearinghouse or can be sent directly from the college or university. Information on this process can be found here:

  3. What should I know about attending another institution?

    Please use the USA Transfer Evaluation System (TES) to verify that the course(s) you wish to take will transfer to USA. If you are uncertain of a course equivalency or an institution or course is not listed in the TES, please consult your advisor.

  4. What are some important reminders when choosing a course(s)?
    • Most importantly, discuss your plans with your academic advisor. Have your advisor confirm that the transient course you plan to take will apply to your degree.

    • It is best to complete a required sequence at the same institution. Talk through your course options with your advisor.

    • If you decide to repeat a course that you originally attempted at USA, you will not be able to utilize the University's Grade Replacement Policy. Please review the Grade Replacement Policy for additional information or meet with your advisor to discuss your best course of action.

    • Do not take a course for which you have already earned satisfactory credit. 

    • In many cases, courses taken as a transient student at another institution will not count towards USA scholarship hour requirements. Be sure to work with your advisor or contact the Office of Scholarship Services if you are unsure.

    • Transient courses are not used in calculating your USA GPA and are not used in calculating institutional honors.

    • A maximum of one half of the credit hours required for a degree may be transferred from a community college. This includes transient credit and any prior community college credit you may have. In other words, if you have 60 hours of credit from other institutions, you are likely not able to be a transient student.

I read and understand the information on "going transient" and I am ready to select courses (clicking the "Acknowledge & Access Transient Credit form" button indicates your consent).

Acknowledge & Access Transient Credit form