The minor in African American Studies provides an interdisciplinary investigation of the experiences, conditions, origins, accomplishments and contributions of people of African ancestry in the United States. Students may deepen their appreciation and understanding of African Americans by studying their earlier history in Africa, their transition to the New World and their diasporic experiences in other parts of the world.
The African American Studies program is comprised of more than 20 courses offered through nearly 10 departments and programs within the USA College of Arts and Sciences. The minor in African American Studies takes advantage of those characteristics of the African American experience that make it uniquely valuable for serious academic study and teaching, for it exposes students to the diversity and unity of the African American experience as well as to the similarities and differences among the cultures of Africa.
Please join us when Mudiwa Pettus, Assistant Professor of English Composition and Rhetoric at Medgar Evers College, presents "Against Compromise: Black Rhetorical Education in the Age of Booker T. Washington" on Wednesday, April 21 at 4:30p.m. This is the final installment in this spring's Race and Identity series sponsored by the English Department. Please visit the English Department website to register for this event and receive a Zoom link: https://www.southalabama.edu/english
Spring 2021 African American Studies Courses
- EH390: African American Oral Narrative (Dr. Kern Jackson)
- EH402: Rhetoric & Race (Dr. Patrick Shaw)
- EH490: Protests & African American Literature (Dr. Chris Raczkowski)
- HY431: African American Women’s History (Dr. Martha Jane Brazy)
- HY477: The Old South (Dr. Henry McIven)
- SY220: Marriage and the Family (Dr. Susan DeLoach)
- PSY270: Psychology of Black Experiences (Dr. Demetrius Smith)
- GS290: #MeToo, Black Lives Matter, and Beyond (Dr. Betty Trout-Kelly)
- PSC340: Race, Gender, & Politics (Dr. Corina Schulze)
- IST320: Cultural Competency (Joycelyn Finley)