To be eligible for graduation, a Senior student must have:
- Completed at least 32 credit hours of courses in the Senior year and passed all courses taken in the senior year.
- A passing score on USMLE Step 1 exam on file in the Office of Student Records.
- A passing score on USMLE Step 2 CK.
- Completed an ACLS course, with documentation on file in the Office of Student Records.
- Grades from all senior course work received in the Office of Student Records.
- Be cleared of all holds and/or fines from the student’s record.
- Completed an Exit Interview with the Office of Student Records. This meeting will cover issues pertaining to residency, licensure, USMLE Step 3, applications for fellowships, and other necessary information needed once the student has left the University.
- Completed an Exit Interview with the Associate Director of Financial Aid.
Graduation and Honors Convocation
These events are the culmination of the joint efforts of the students and the faculty. Students who are eligible to graduate and participate in Honors Convocation and Graduation are expected to be present at both ceremonies unless prior approval has been granted by the Associate Dean of Student Affairs. Students who have not completed the requirements for graduation will not be permitted to participate in the Honors Convocation or the Graduation ceremonies.
In the event that an enrolled medical student at the University of South Alabama College of Medicine dies, the Executive Council shall be charged with the decision to award a posthumous degree. In recognition of the dedication and hard work required of all medical students, there shall be no rigid cut off for the percentage of the total medical curriculum completed. The Executive Council shall consider the entirety of the circumstances, on a case by case basis, including, but not limited to, the deceased student’s academic standing and when (in the course of the medical curriculum) the death occurs.