Math 410 syllabus
History of Mathematics
A historical survey of the general development of mathematics
with a balance of historical perspective and mathematical structure.
Prerequisites: C or better in EH 102 and either senior standing or permission
of the instructor or the department chair.
Textbook: Marty Lewinter & William Widulski, The Saga of Mathematics: A Brief
History, Prentice Hall, New Jersey, 1st edition (2002). ISBN: 9780130340795
• To give life to students’ knowledge of mathematics
• To provide an overview of mathematics, including an ability to see how various undergraduate courses ﬁt together
• To show students that mathematics is a part of our culture
• To indicate how students might use the history of mathematics in their future teaching
• To improve students’ reading and analytical skills, especially in a technical situation
• To improve students’ oral and written communication skills in a technical setting.
Last Update: February 12, 2014