Mental Health Emergencies

in crisis logo banner

The University Counseling and Wellness Center (UCWC) provides crisis intervention for USA students experiencing mental health emergencies such as psychological trauma or thoughts of seriously harming self or others.

Accessing Help for Yourself

  • If a medical emergency occurs, call 911.
  • For emergency mental health assistance during our normal office hours (8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday), you can call our office at (251) 460-7051.
  • During non-business hours, contact the University Police at (251) 460-6312 and they will notify the on-call counselor as appropriate.
  • Other area resources for mental health emergencies include: 
    • Call 988 - newly launched Suicide and Crisis Lifeline. 988 offers 24/7 access to trained crisis counselors who can help students experiencing mental health-related distress. Students can call 988 or chat for themselves or if they are worried about a loved one who may need crisis support.
    • Nearest hospital emergency room
    • Care Pointe (AltaPointe’s crisis line) – (251) 450-2211
  • National Hotline and Online resources
▼   Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention

National Suicide Prevention Hotline
Phone# 1-800-273-8255
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (website also has a Chat option)

LGBTQ+ The Trevor Project Hotline
Phone# 1-866-488-7386

Trans Lifeline
Phone# 1-877-565-8860

Veteran's Crisis Line
1-800-273-TALK (8255)

Crisis text line

▼   Domestic Violence

Domestic Violence Hotline
Phone# 1-800-799-SAFE (7233)
National Domestic Violence Hotline (website also has a chat option)

▼   Eating Disorders

Eating Disorder Hotline
Phone# 1-800-931-2237
Monday-Thursday 9-9 (E.T).; Friday 9-5 (E.T.)

▼   Child Abuse

National Child Abuse Hotline
Phone# (1-800) 4-A-Child (422-4453)

▼   Panic Disorder

Panic Disorder Information line
Phone# 1-800-64-PANIC (72642)

▼   Self-Injury

Self Injury Foundation Hotline
Phone# 1-800-334-HELP (4357)

▼   Sexual Assault

Sexual Assault Hotline
Phone# 1-800-656-HOPE (4673)
The National Sexual Assault Online hotline (website also has a Chat option)

▼   Substance Abuse & General Mental Health Issues

SAMHSA’s Substance Abuse/Mental Health National Hotline
Phone# 1-800-662-HELP (4357)

Concerned about Someone Else

If you have a serious concern about the mental health of another USA student, assuming it is during business hours, you call the Counseling and Wellness Center or, if it is after business hours, you can contact University Police at (251) 460-6312, 911, or have the person go to the nearest hospital emergency room.

Suicide Prevention and Coping: A Response to the COVID-19 Pandemic