The Counseling Externship Training Program at the USA Counseling & Testing Services (USA CTS) is designed to be flexible enough to allow externship students the opportunity to sample from a variety of activities to meet their unique training needs. Externs work with their individual supervisors and the Coordinators of Training to design a training program which best suits their training needs and which still meets the needs of the Counseling Center. The choices clinicians in training make are included as part of their Training Agreement.
Students wishing to complete an externship at the USA CTS Counseling Center must be advanced graduate students in either the USA Clinical & Counseling Psychology doctoral program or the USA Master’s in Mental Health Counseling program.
Graduate students work 10-20 hours per week for the academic year and are expected to abide by the established policies and procedures of USA CTS and the ethical standards of the counseling and psychology profession. Externs also are expected to participate in a week long orientation to USA CTS prior to the start of the start of the academic year.
Externs from the USA Clinical & Counseling Psychology doctoral program are paid a graduate assistant stipend for their service during the academic year.
Typical Direct Service Activities
- Individual counseling
- Intake assessment
- Group counseling
- Educational skills programming
- Psychoeducational outreach programming
- Individual supervision
- Groups Supervision
- Risk Assessment training
- Training Seminars
Students completing an externship at USA CTS will acquire the following knowledge, skills and experiences. Externs will:
- develop skill in operational/agency factors related to work in a university counseling center
- enhance individual counseling skills and knowledge
- develop skill in intake assessment
- acquire group co-facilitation skills
- gain knowledge and skill in crisis intervention
- improve psychoeducational programming skills
- demonstrate professional and ethical behavior
- develop skill in engaging in the supervision process
- enhance personal qualities relevant to effective counseling practice
- Applicants will work with their respective Program Directors/Faculty to determine interest.
- Applicants will submit application and resume to USA CTS.
- Selected candidates will be scheduled for interviews in late April/early May.
- Position offers will be made in mid to late May.