Freshmen Orientation - Spring/Summer Semester
Welcome to Southbound Orientation! You are here because you are a 2021 high school graduate or a student who is a first-time freshman under the age of 23. We look forward to helping you transition to USA and will familiarize you with the campus, student services, and assist you in registering for classes.
If you are 23 or older or transferring from another institution, we recommend you attend our Transfer & Adult Orientation session.
There is an orientation fee of $50 required at the time of orientation registration. If your orientation plans change, and you choose to cancel your registration, please contact our office directly to provide notification of the change. Students who choose defer spring enrollment and would like a refund, must email a formal request to email@example.com by December 15, 2020 for consideration.
Spring Semester 2021
Session details and registration instructions for your Spring 2021 orientation sessions can be found in your admissions portal.
Log in to register using the same credentials you used when you submitted your application
Complete the orientation registration form and pay the orientation fee. Registration is not confirmed until payment is made.
Congratulations on your admission to South! We are so excited that you have decided to join the Jaguar family. Here are the steps to take to become a student at USA:
- Activate your JagNet Student Account at southalabama.edu/services/jagnet.
- Login to your JagMail and PAWS (Personal Access Web System) accounts at southalabama.edu/logins.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid for financial aid at fafsa.gov
(FAFSA opens up October 1st). Visit the USA One Stop Financial Resources page at southalabama.edu/onestop/financialresources.
- Apply for USA Housing at southalabama.edu/housing and pay deposit.
- Register for Southbound, your New Student Orientation, and pay the fee in your admissions
portal. Visit southalabama.edu/orientation for more information.
- Summer and Fall orientation registration opens in January.
- Spring orientation registration opens in November.
- Submit immunization information and records through the Student Health Web Portal. Please contact the Student Health Center at 251-460-7151, if you need assistance.
- Request final official transcript(s) be submitted to South, if you have not yet done so. If applicable, also submit official test scores (i.e. ACT/SAT, IB/AP).
- Attend your scheduled orientation.
- Meet with your academic advisor to register for courses in PAWS. Your advisor will contact you for an appointment after you register for orientation. Some students may be required to take a placement test.
- After semester billing posts to your student account, pay tuition or set up a payment plan via PAWS. See southalabama.edu/onestop/financialresources for additional information.
- Order your textbooks and other materials for classes as required.
- Submit JagID photo to the Student Center’s Jag Card Office. You will be notified via JagMail when you can pick up your JagID.
- Join the Admitted Student Facebook Group to start making connections and receive up-to-date information.
- Visit our campus or check out other opportunities at southalabama.edu/visit.
- Log in to JagSPOT at southalabama.edu/scholarships to:
- Accept all scholarships offered in JagSPOT, if awarded.
- Search and apply for additional USA scholarships in JagSPOT.
- Complete your special programs application in JagSPOT, if you meet the requirements and desire consideration.
- Complete Title IX training to ensure we are working together to keep our campus a safe environment for everyone. You should receive an email to your JagMail and should email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance.
- If you plan to have a vehicle or bicycle on campus, register with USA Parking Services.
- Review financial and academic deadlines on the academic calendar, southalabama.edu/academiccalendar.
- If you're interested in the Student & Scholar Health Insurance, be sure to review the health insurance plan information for details at southalabama.edu/studenthealth/insurance.
- If you need accommodations, please visit southalabama.edu/sds/ to learn more about Student Disability Services.
- Complete the brief on-line alcohol prevention program, Alcohol eCHECKUP TO GO, at https://interwork.sdsu.edu/echeckup/usa/alc/coll/index.php?id=USA&hfs=true#main. Your responses will remain confidential.
- Complete the USA Sports Interest Survey, a tool that aids in sports planning and programming at https://southalabama.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_07fyDMDWMt02J3D.
- If you are interested in departmental programs (for example, Jaguar Marching Band), be sure to check the department’s website to learn about the requirements to join.
- Check out our student organizations and ways to get involved. Visit southalabama.edu/departments/studentactivities.
Start your South experience!
If you have additional questions, please call or email the New Student Orientation Office: