Freshmen - Fall Semester
We are so excited to welcome new Jags to campus each semester! Our Fall 2024 Southbound Orientation will consist of orientation sessions that are full of fun engagement, important information, and open discussion. New Jags will complete an online orientation course via Canvas prior to their scheduled session with their Orientation Leaders.
All students who are 2024 high school graduates and students who are first time freshmen under the age of 23 must attend a Freshman session of Southbound New Student Orientation. If you are 23 or older and are not transferring from another institution, we recommend you attend a Transfer & Adult Freshman session of Southbound New Student Orientation.
In an effort to prepare all of our new Jaguars for their transition to South, we host multiple orientation sessions that new undergraduate students are required to attend. Spaces for each session will fill up quickly, so we encourage you to register as soon as you can to secure your preferred session. Registration will open in Spring 2024.
We look forward to helping our new Jaguars transition to USA! Orientation Leaders will lead the way, providing new students with information about our campus, student services and support, and other resources.
- Activate your JagNet Student Account at southalabama.edu/services/jagnet.
- Login to your JagMail and PAWS (Personal Access Web System) accounts at southalabama.edu/logins.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid for financial aid at fafsa.gov (FAFSA opens in December). Visit the USA One Stop Financial Resources page at southalabama.edu/onestop/resources.
- Log in to JagSPOT to:
- All freshmen USA students are required to live on campus unless they commute from home. Students complete the housing application to live on campus or the housing exemption form to commute. Both are available in the USAHousing portal. More Information: southalabama.edu/departments/housing/residencypolicy.html.
- Register for Southbound, your New Student Orientation, and pay the fee in your admissions
portal. Visit southalabama.edu/orientation for more information.
- Summer and Fall orientation registration opens in January.
- Spring orientation registration opens in November.
- Apply for USA Housing at southalabama.edu/housing and pay deposit.
- Submit immunization information and records through the Student Health Web Portal at https://www.southalabama.edu/departments/studenthealth/immunization.html. Please contact the Student Health Center at 251-460-7151, if you need assistance.
- Request final official transcript(s) be submitted to South, if you have not yet done so. If applicable, also submit official test scores (i.e. ACT/SAT, IB/AP).
- Meet with your academic advisor to register for courses in PAWS. Your advisor will contact you for an appointment after you register for orientation. Some students may be required to take a placement test.
- Attend your scheduled orientation.
- After semester billing posts to your student account, pay tuition or set up a payment plan via PAWS. See southalabama.edu/onestop/resources for more information.
- Order your textbooks and other materials for classes as required.
- Submit JagID photo to the Student Center’s Jag Card Office at southalabama.edu/departments/studentcenter/photosubmission. You will be notified via JagMail when you can pick up your JagID.
- Visit our campus or check out other opportunities at southalabama.edu/visit.
- Complete Title IX training to ensure we are working together to keep our campus a safe environment for everyone. You should receive an email to your JagMail and should email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance.
- If you plan to have a vehicle or bicycle on campus, register with USA Parking Services at https://southalabama.t2hosted.com/Account/Portal.
- If you need accommodations, please contact the Center for Educational Accessibility & Disability Resources at southalabama.edu/sds to learn more.
- Review financial and academic deadlines on the academic calendar, southalabama.edu/academiccalendar/academiccalendar2021-22.html.
- If you’re interested in the Student & Scholar Health Insurance, be sure to review the health insurance plan information for details at southalabama.edu/studenthealth/insurance.
- Complete the brief on-line alcohol prevention program, Alcohol eCHECKUP TO GO, at https://interwork.sdsu.edu/echeckup/usa/alc/coll/index.php?id=USA&hfs=true#main. Your responses will remain confidential.
- Complete the USA Sports Interest Survey, a tool that aids in sports planning and programming
- If you are interested in departmental programs (for example, Jaguar Marching Band), be sure to check the department’s website to learn about the requirements to join.
- Check out our student organizations and ways to get involved. Visit southalabama.edu/departments/studentactivities.
If you have additional questions, please call or email the New Student Orientation Office: