The Undergraduate Major
"Every time I read Pride and Prejudice, I want to dig her up and hit her over the skull with her own shin-bone."
- Mark Twain on Jane Austen
Requirements for the English Major
- 2.0 GPA or better.
- At least 120 total hours. (NOTE: Even if all other requirements are met, you might need additional hours. You must have 120 to graduate.)
- 32 hours of 300- and/or 400-level coursework at USA.
- 15 hours of 300- and/or 400-level coursework in English at USA.
- 9 hours of 400-level coursework in English at USA.
- 39 hours of English coursework, excluding freshman composition. (NOTE: Only four 200-level courses can count toward this requirement.)
- Minor field, other than English. At least 9 hours must be completed at USA.
- Writing portfolio.
- Distribution requirements A-G (below).
A) Survey Sequence. One of the following pairs: 215/216, 225/226, or 235/236.
B) Gateway course. EH 300 must be completed prior to enrollment in any 400-level English course.
C) Literature prior to 1660. At least one of the following: 314, 315, 321, 322, 323, 324, 461, 465, 467, 470, 471, 472. NOTE: Classical Mythology (EH/PHL/REL/CLA 310) cannot satisfy this requirement.
D) British or American literature, 1660-1900. At least one of the following: 331, 332, 334, 340, 342, 343, 351, 352, 353, 354, 462, 474, 475.
E) Literature after 1900. At least one of the following: 360, 361, 362, 363, 364, 365, 366, 367, 369, 380, 463, 468, 476, 478, 479.
F) Criticism, theory, rhetoric. At least one of the following: 402, 421, 422.
G) English electives. Six additional EH courses. (Any will qualify, not just those listed above. See limits on 200-level courses.
To major in English with a Concentration in Creative Writing, all requirements above must be met. In addition, CW students must take:
- EH 200, EH 391, and EH 395. (9 credit hours)
- At least one 400-level CW course. (3 credit hours)
- One additional CW course. (3 credit hours)
The five courses required for a Concentration in Creative Writing simultaneously count towards the English major's six-course elective requirement.
Gen Ed Requirements for College of Arts & Sciences
For more information on the General Education Requirements for the College of Arts & Sciences, please consult the USA Bulletin.
PLEASE NOTE: the latest version of the USA Undergraduate Bulletin is the official source for all degree requirements.